cure-real

Thread: The Difference between Grace and Mercy

The Difference between Grace and Mercy

I am sometimes asked what the difference is between grace and mercy or hear the terms used interchangeably, this is how I was taught (which may not be theologically sufficient, but it works for me):

Grace is God giving us what we don't deserve.

Mercy is God not giving us what we do deserve.

Any thoughts?

Blog Entries

Re: The Difference between Grace and Mercy

It seems like your describing the same "event".

I guess the best bet would be to get a Greek dictionary and see the entries for both of those words.

they are differing words. Mercy is "eleos" and simply means compassion or mercy. Grace is "charis" and has several renderings, but grace is the most common. I see mercy as like a defense against the negative and grace as a positive action, though that is probably arguable.

Quote Originally Posted by Luciano Vinci View Post
    I am sometimes asked what the difference is between grace and mercy or hear the terms used interchangeably, this is how I was taught (which may not be theologically sufficient, but it works for me):

Grace is God giving us what we don't deserve.

Mercy is God not giving us what we do deserve.

Any thoughts?

Perhaps you could provide a cpl of examples? In the meantime, would I be anywhere in the ballpark with the following examples?

Grace is God giving us what we don't deserve.....eternal life.
    Mercy is God not giving us what we do deserve....eternal death.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Luciano Vinci View Post
    they are differing words. Mercy is "eleos" and simply means compassion or mercy. Grace is "charis" and has several renderings, but grace is the most common. I see mercy as like a defense against the negative and grace as a positive action, though that is probably arguable.
    I haven't done a study about the difference between them both, so I'm sure it's arguable, but I tend to see it in a similar light. It's a fine line, but I see God's mercy rescuing us and His grace sustaining us. When we fall,His mercy forgives us, and His grace picks us back up. We just have to be careful of what we call negative, for sometimes we find ourselves in what looks like a negative situation, but really it's His mercy! In those times, it's His grace that sustains us, although that grace is driven by His mercy! I think if I continue, I might be going round in circles soon, so I'll stop

blessings to you
    My soul does GLORIFY the LORD, my spirit REJOICES in GOD MY SAVIOUR
    ------
    "To be entirely safe from the devils snares the man of God must be completely obedient to the Word of the Lord. The driver on the highway is safe, not when he reads the signs but when he obeys them." A.W.Tozer

The Lifehouse Skit

How about! Saved, by grace through the faith. According to his mercy he (by grace through the faith =) saved us (How?) by the washing of regeneration and the renewing of the Holy Spirit.

and from Jesus Christ, the witness the faithful, the first-born out of the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth; to him who did love us, and did bathe us from our sins in his blood, Rev 1:5

Question? Could that underlined take place apart from that in bold?

For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised: And if Christ be not raised, your faith vain; ye are yet in your sins. Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished. 1 Cor 15:16-18

Therefore to whom did the regeneration apply to, that you could be washed?

You've forgotten justice...giving us what we DO deserve.

I'll take mercy and grace, thank you.
    θεοφιλε

I think mercy is a subset of grace. More to come later.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Indueseason View Post
    I haven't done a study about the difference between them both, so I'm sure it's arguable, but I tend to see it in a similar light. It's a fine line, but I see God's mercy rescuing us and His grace sustaining us. When we fall,His mercy forgives us, and His grace picks us back up. We just have to be careful of what we call negative, for sometimes we find ourselves in what looks like a negative situation, but really it's His mercy! In those times, it's His grace that sustains us, although that grace is driven by His mercy! I think if I continue, I might be going round in circles soon, so I'll stop

blessings to you
    I have more or less the same idea.
    "I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly."

in all your ways acknowledge Him, and he will make your paths straight.

Many are the afflictions of the righteous; But Jehovah delivereth him out of them all.

My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as [we are, yet] without sin. Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Thread Information