cure-real

Thread: Why circumcise on the eighth day?

Blog Entries

Why circumcise on the eighth day?

Ever wonder why God commanded that male Hebrew babies be circumcised specifically on the eighth day? Not the seventh, and not the ninth, but the eighth day is when it was to be done. We know that God has a reason for everything He says or does, and there was reason for this commandment, as well. But only in recent years, has modern medical science discovered that reason: Vitamin K is essential for proper blood-clotting, and it is now known that Vitamin K peaks on the eighth day of a baby's life--making it the earliest, yet safest day for circumcision. Our God doesn't make mistakes!

When we stand before the Judgment Seat, we will have retained only two things from our earthly life: what God gave us, and what we did with what He gave us.

Re: Why circumcise on the eighth day?

First day of the new week (of the infant's life), signifying new life in the Covenant... mayhaps?

I think we should be careful about reading the Bible as if it's full of science. It's not a science book, and doesn't set out to convey scientific thoughts. Science, after all, changes radically from generation to generation, let alone over the course of several thousand years. (Besides, one can't make such generalized statements as 'Vitamin K peaks on the eighth day of a baby's life', as if all infants' bodies function exactly the same. For some babies, it may be the sixth day, for others it may be the tenth. What then?)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by markedward View Post
    First day of the new week (of the infant's life), signifying new life in the Covenant... mayhaps?

I think we should be careful about reading the Bible as if it's full of science. It's not a science book, and doesn't set out to convey scientific thoughts. Science, after all, changes radically from generation to generation, let alone over the course of several thousand years. (Besides, one can't make such generalized statements as 'Vitamin K peaks on the eighth day of a baby's life', as if all infants' bodies function exactly the same. For some babies, it may be the sixth day, for others it may be the tenth. What then?)
    Where did I imply that the Bible was a book of science? I merely stated that medical science has discovered that the eighth day of a baby's life is the safest day for a surgical procedure like circumcision to be performed, with regard to blood clotting. My point is, God knew the eighth day was the optimal day 4000 years before science discovered why that is; I just wanted to give God the glory. Here is a LINK to Apologetics Press, where I got the information, and here is an excerpt of the article:

On the eighth day, the amount of prothrombin present is actually elevated above one-hundred percent of normal—and is the only day in the male’s life in which this will be the case under normal conditions. If surgery is to be performed, day eight is the perfect day to do it. Vitamin K and prothrombin levels are at their peak.

When we stand before the Judgment Seat, we will have retained only two things from our earthly life: what God gave us, and what we did with what He gave us.

As a matter of faith, id do it on the 8th day, dispite what a doc may say.

Blog Entries

I have two sons, still young (10&2) and couldn't really see any reason to do it or have that done. I know I broke a long line of tradition, at least on my father's side, considering they were Jewish.

Why circumcise on the eighth day? Because God said to. Thank the Lord, I live under the new covenant, not the old.

Heb_8:6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sojourner55 View Post
    Ever wonder why God commanded that male Hebrew babies be circumcised specifically on the eighth day? Not the seventh, and not the ninth, but the eighth day is when it was to be done. We know that God has a reason for everything He says or does, and there was reason for this commandment, as well. But only in recent years, has modern medical science discovered that reason: Vitamin K is essential for proper blood-clotting, and it is now known that Vitamin K peaks on the eighth day of a baby's life--making it the earliest, yet safest day for circumcision. Our God doesn't make mistakes!
    Thank you for sharing! Makes sense! Praise God, our great Physician!!

And Raybob? Good for you!! Praise God!

blessings to you both
    My soul does GLORIFY the LORD, my spirit REJOICES in GOD MY SAVIOUR
    ------
    "To be entirely safe from the devils snares the man of God must be completely obedient to the Word of the Lord. The driver on the highway is safe, not when he reads the signs but when he obeys them." A.W.Tozer

The Lifehouse Skit

Thread Information