cure-real

Thread: Help with bible study teaching tonight

Help with bible study teaching tonight

Leading bible study tonight, passage is Luke 6:12-23.

So far the points I draw out are:

- The importance of prayer. Even Christ, despite being Holy, prayed before making a big decision like choosing the apostles.
    - Seeing the bigger picture. Jesus chose someone he knew would betray him because he was putting the father's will beyond his personal concerns. ie it often takes risk to accomplish the father's will
    - The contrast between who the world praises and who Christ blesses in the 4 beatitudes found in this passage, and the subsequent woes.

It's a short passage. Any other ideas or expansions on these ideas?

Re: Help with bible study teaching tonight

Quote Originally Posted by NHL Fever View Post
    Leading bible study tonight, passage is Luke 6:12-23.

So far the points I draw out are:

- The importance of prayer. Even Christ, despite being Holy, prayed before making a big decision like choosing the apostles.
    - Seeing the bigger picture. Jesus chose someone he knew would betray him because he was putting the father's will beyond his personal concerns. ie it often takes risk to accomplish the father's will
    - The contrast between who the world praises and who Christ blesses in the 4 beatitudes found in this passage, and the subsequent woes.

It's a short passage. Any other ideas or expansions on these ideas?
    Jesus walked our walk. He had power on his own, but he used it not. he used HS power. To get HS power, we need to seek the kingdom of God first. Jesus did that when he spent all night in prayer. The result, power.

Mt 12:28 But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.

1 Cor 4:20 For the kingdom of God is not in word, but in power.

Act 1:6 When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?
    7 And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.
    8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

Shalom

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NHL Fever
    It's a short passage. Any other ideas or expansions on these ideas? - The importance of prayer. Even Christ, despite being Holy, prayed before making a big decision like choosing the apostles.
    Jesus in prayer before long discourses and important events is a distinctive of the Gospel of Luke. Luke is said to highlight Jesus' humanity, and thus prayer is one avenue of this.

Nice point. Jesus Himself named them Apostles. We see that carried over to Paul who insisted He was named an Apostle by Jesus Christ Himself (the special envoy to the Gentiles).

This is called the Sermon on the Plain, as opposed to Matthew's Sermon on the Mount. The 4 beatitudes are balanced by the 4 woes.

I hope that helps. It really sounds like you are already prepared though. Good luck!
    Watchinginawe

I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

Thanks for all that so far. Thanks watching for the tip about the theme in Luke. Servant89 the tie-ins you've suggested are a little above my head I think but maybe it will dawn on me.

Thread Information