cure-real
Page 1 of 28 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Hell vs. Lake of Fire

Blog Entries

Hell vs. Lake of Fire

I was asked what is the difference between the two. I have thoughts on this, but I thought I would ask for some help in explaining this. Thanks!
    .................The message of the cross divides the human race." ~MW~

........ ... " LORD, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant..."
    .................................................. .................................................. ...Nehemiah 1:11a

In the slave pits of manmade Christianity, setting the captives free.

Re: Hell vs. Lake of Fire

I'm not planning on a trip to either, so I'm not terrible concerned about technical differences.

I believe that "hell" is technically "the place of the unrepentant dead," and the "lake of fire" is a really nasty place into which God throws hell at the end of time. "Hell", if I remember correctly, is the English version of the Greek "hades."

Blog Entries

I'm wondering if I have this right.
    Hell is a place of torment, but not the final place. There will be a resurrection of the dead and after facing the Judgement Seat they will be cast into the lake of fire for all of eternity?

........ ... " LORD, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant..."
    .................................................. .................................................. ...Nehemiah 1:11a

Quote Originally Posted by karenoka27 View Post
    I was asked what is the difference between the two. I have thoughts on this, but I thought I would ask for some help in explaining this. Thanks!
    According to the following scripture they are not the same.

Rev 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

I believe the general term is the grave.

Firstfruits

In the slave pits of manmade Christianity, setting the captives free.

Close enough.

I'm made reservations for other accommodations.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RabbiKnife View Post
    Close enough.

I'm made reservations for other accommodations.
    I got that from your first post.

Firstfruits-thank you for that Scripture. That is very helpful.

Blog Entries
    Here is a great article on it:

Apologetics Press :: Scripturally Speaking

One Second After Death
    by Dave Miller, Ph.D.

Hope this helps!

God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Blog Entries

Thank you Moonglow!

Quote Originally Posted by karenoka27 View Post
    I got that from your first post.

Firstfruits-thank you for that Scripture. That is very helpful.
    You are most welcome.

God bless you!

Firstfruits

Quote Originally Posted by Firstfruits View Post
    According to the following scripture they are not the same.

Rev 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

I believe the general term is the grave.

Firstfruits
    What is death and hell that will be cast into the lake of fire?

Quote Originally Posted by percho View Post
    What is death and hell that will be cast into the lake of fire?
    I do not know that, but I know that death will be destroyed at the end.

1 Cor 15:24 Then cometh The end, when he shall have delivered up The kingdom to God, even The FaTher; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power.
    1 Cor 15:25 For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet.
    1 Cor 15:26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.

God bless!

Firstfruits

Rev 20:13 shows that people come out of hell and are judged afterward. Some receive life and some are thrown into the lake of fire, also called the second death. then, as already pointed out, hell is thrown into the lake of fire.

Hell, from the terms sheol(Hebrew), and hades (greek) is the abode of the dead, or the grave, due to adamic sin. All men die and thus all go to this hell but will come out to be judged. The second death has no resurrection in view so it is as permanent as being destroyed by fire. they are done away with, as is hell when man is no longer subject to adamic death.

The fact that it says that the lake of fire MEANS the second death shows that is a symbol of something, namely total destruction.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JoyT View Post
    Rev 20:13 shows that people come out of hell and are judged afterward. Some receive life and some are thrown into the lake of fire, also called the second death. then, as already pointed out, hell is thrown into the lake of fire.

Hell, from the terms sheol(Hebrew), and hades (greek) is the abode of the dead, or the grave, due to adamic sin. All men die and thus all go to this hell but will come out to be judged. The second death has no resurrection in view so it is as permanent as being destroyed by fire. they are done away with, as is hell when man is no longer subject to adamic death.

The fact that it says that the lake of fire MEANS the second death shows that is a symbol of something, namely total destruction.
    Your assessment is not completly correct. Not all go to the place called hell to await judgment. We whom are in Christ do not go to hell when we die, but rather go to be with our Lord Jesus.

2 Corinthians 5

6 ¶Therefore, being always of good courage, and knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord --
    7 for we walk by faith, not by sight --
    8 we are of good courage, I say, and prefer rather to be absent from the body and to be at home with the Lord.

And also your assessment of total destruction in the lake of fire. Scripture says the in the lake of fire there will be torment forever and ever.

Revelation 20

10 And the devil who deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are also; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

I see nothing in the scriptures that says only Satan, the beast and false prophet are the only ones tormented forever and ever and not also those not gaining eternal life who will be joining them in the lake of fire.
    I am a Christian man in the Devil's land, spreading the gospel man to man.
    Have you laid your burdens down?

Blog Entries

Re: Hell vs. Lake of

Quote Originally Posted by TrustingFollower View Post
    Your assessment is not completly correct. Not all go to the place called hell to await judgment. We whom are in Christ do not go to hell when we die, but rather go to be with our Lord Jesus.

2 Corinthians 5

6 ¶Therefore, being always of good courage, and knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord --
    7 for we walk by faith, not by sight --
    8 we are of good courage, I say, and prefer rather to be absent from the body and to be at home with the Lord.

And also your assessment of total destruction in the lake of fire. Scripture says the in the lake of fire there will be torment forever and ever.

Revelation 20

10 And the devil who deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are also; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

I see nothing in the scriptures that says only Satan, the beast and false prophet are the only ones tormented forever and ever and not also those not gaining eternal life who will be joining them in the lake of fire.
    I think Joy is talking about everyone going to one side or the other of Hades...one side is Paradise...check out my link on this thread One second after death. I agree on the LOF...nothing is said about total destruction.

God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Blog Entries

Re: Hell vs. Lake of

It sounds to me like RIGHT NOW Hell and the Lake Of Fire are two different places, but will one day become one and the same place.

Thread Information