cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can the enemy come against us when we are praying for someone?

Blog Entries

Can the enemy come against us when we are praying for someone?

Has anyone else experienced this?

You will be praying for someone, or trying to send up a prayer for them, and something comes against you, and hinders you from trying to speak....almost like a wall comes up. Or, something will say "DO NOT pray for this person."

I cannot imagine this being the Lord, but does Satan actually have the authority to come against those prayers like that?! What if you feel like God is angry with you when you are praying, or your mind gets really really distracted?!

PLEASE -- answers, anyone

Re: Can the enemy come against us when we are praying for someone?

Well the enemy can always throw darts at us to distract us, but other than that there is nothing that can come between you and God.

Blog Entries

Ya, but what about if something is telling us not to pray for that person. Would this be the enemy, or God?

Then, you pray for that person, and you feel like God is angry with you because you are praying. This just doesn't sound like God, what do you do? Rebuke it? But then, what if it is God? Then you will be rebuking God?

God is not the author of confusion, so I am having a REALLY hard time with this. It's driving me to the end of my rope

Blog Entries

This happens to me all the time, with one specific person.

It's really confusing, and I feel like I am a horrible Christian because I can't discern between the voice of the enemy and God.

Why would God tell us not to pray for someone....especially if they are begging for prayer from us?!

Not sure.................................

Blog Entries

.....and I also feel like my prayers are weak, and God is not even listening to them. I try everything. I dont know what to do. I ask God for help, but I'm still stuck. Is He even listening to them?

I really feel like He is rejecting them for some reason. Not quite sure what is going on.

One thing I know. God doesn't give us more than we can handle. Perhaps you are asking for something that is in fact more than you can handle. If what you say is true, it sounds as if even prayer is being difficult.
    Are you a brick, or are you a stone? Either way you are invited to read my Testimony.

Studies that I have posted include:
    Am I absolved from not knowing what is in the Bible?
    Don't be Afraid...
    Coming soon "Innocent of the Blood of all Men." and "One More Day with the Frogs."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Church Buddy View Post
    One thing I know. God doesn't give us more than we can handle. Perhaps you are asking for something that is in fact more than you can handle. If what you say is true, it sounds as if even prayer is being difficult.
    Yes, prayer is difficult. Its as though I am having to break through some spiritual barrier, and a lot of times, I am successful, but it is getting harder and harder. Especially when something is telling me not to pray for someone.....what if that's the voice of the enemy, but then again, what if that's God's voice, and I'm disobeying Him by praying.

I dont want to disobey him.....a lot of times, if I just continue and perservere in prayer, I will stop hearing that message....but then what if its God leaving me?

I am really confused, and it is really tormenting.

Blog Entries

WOW!! Has no one here ever experienced this?!

Anyone have any insights?

It's hard to answer this question. It is a question that has an answer, but it's hard to answer without sounding like you are being put under the spot light. The Bible teaches us that we should love our enemies(Matthew 5:44). That in itself says we should love Satan. So how could we then be told not to pray for someone? Even when a demon possessed boy that the disciples could not chase out, Jesus responds with, "This kind takes prayer."(Mark 9:14-29)

So with that being said, this message you are getting may not be coming from God.

Why would you be having such ideas come into your head? That is a hard question to answer because Jesus has prayed that his disciples be protected from the evil one(John 17:13-19). If you are under attack from the evil one, it would then could be concluded that you are just not that close to God. That is hard for someone to just come out and say. It is one thing to be persecuted, it is another to receive a message to say "Don't pray for this one." One comes from a free will, the other comes from divine inspiration or the evil one. It is very hard to say God would be putting this into your mind, but as far as I know there is only one thing God can't do. God can't contradict himself. So with God being able to do anything, could it be impossible for this message to be coming from God? Only if God said he wouldn't do this.

For years I personally have struggled with prayer myself, but my struggle is far different from this issue you are having. I struggle with prayer because I know that what ever I ask for I get(Matthew 21:22) as long as it isn't more than what I can handle(1 Corinthians 10:13). For example if what I am praying for is going to cause me to fall from God's grace, why would God grant me that prayer? I have actually prayed to God that a person be removed from our congregation at the request of someone else, and sure enough they would walk out the door. On the other side of the coin I prayed and fasted to find a wife and get married. God even answered that request and I got married to a woman that cheated on me. It wasn't more than what I could handle because I grew so much under that tension. This sounds like a good thread to start, so I will get one going. Look for it HERE. I would like to know what miracles have taken place through prayer from others. I personally have witnessed many.

If I was in your shoes, what I would do is quit praying for others for a bit, and focus on you and God. Is it hard for you to walk with God in prayer? Can you praise him for his Glory? When you walk with him and pray, do you find it hard to look around in this world and find anything worth thanking God for? If so, then you definately need to go on a Thanks Giving fast. What I mean is not that you should skip your Thanks Giving dinner. What I mean is that you should stop praying for anything else, and only pray to God with thanks for all he has done for you. I would do this for a number of weeks, then come back and start asking for his help.

I hope this helps you and that you understand that I care about you and your prayer life.

Godspeed,
    CB

Matthew 5:44 (New International Version)
    44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

Mark 9 (New International Version)
    Jesus Heals a Boy Possessed by an Impure Spirit
    14 When they came to the other disciples, they saw a large crowd around them and the teachers of the law arguing with them. 15 As soon as all the people saw Jesus, they were overwhelmed with wonder and ran to greet him.
    16 “What are you arguing with them about?” he asked.
    17 A man in the crowd answered, “Teacher, I brought you my son, who is possessed by a spirit that has robbed him of speech. 18 Whenever it seizes him, it throws him to the ground. He foams at the mouth, gnashes his teeth and becomes rigid. I asked your disciples to drive out the spirit, but they could not.”
    19 “You unbelieving generation,” Jesus replied, “how long shall I stay with you? How long shall I put up with you? Bring the boy to me.”
    20 So they brought him. When the spirit saw Jesus, it immediately threw the boy into a convulsion. He fell to the ground and rolled around, foaming at the mouth.
    21 Jesus asked the boy’s father, “How long has he been like this?”
    “From childhood,” he answered. 22 “It has often thrown him into fire or water to kill him. But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us.”
    23 “‘If you can’?” said Jesus. “Everything is possible for one who believes.”
    24 Immediately the boy’s father exclaimed, “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!”
    25 When Jesus saw that a crowd was running to the scene, he rebuked the impure spirit. “You deaf and mute spirit,” he said, “I command you, come out of him and never enter him again.”
    26 The spirit shrieked, convulsed him violently and came out. The boy looked so much like a corpse that many said, “He’s dead.” 27 But Jesus took him by the hand and lifted him to his feet, and he stood up.
    28 After Jesus had gone indoors, his disciples asked him privately, “Why couldn’t we drive it out?” 29 He replied, “This kind can come out only by prayer.”

John 17 (New International Version)
    13 “I am coming to you now, but I say these things while I am still in the world, so that they may have the full measure of my joy within them. 14 I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world. 15 My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one. 16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of it. 17 Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth. 18 As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world. 19 For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified.

Matthew 21:22 (New International Version)
    22 If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.”

1 Corinthians 10:13 (New International Version)
    13 No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.
    Last edited by Church Buddy; Nov 19th 2010 at 01:12 PM. Reason: added link to new thread
    Are you a brick, or are you a stone? Either way you are invited to read my Testimony.

Studies that I have posted include:
    Am I absolved from not knowing what is in the Bible?
    Don't be Afraid...
    Coming soon "Innocent of the Blood of all Men." and "One More Day with the Frogs."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Equipped_4_Love View Post

Yes. Stop praying for a minute and just WORSHIP and then go back to praying. If you feel like God is angry at you, it is NOT of God! Rebuke the devil by the authority delegated to you by Jesus Christ.
    For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

Blog Entries

I have not experienced something telling me not to pray for someone, but I do know someone who has. But I have felt that my prayers were not getting to God or he was not listening.

I am going to offer some other ideas then the fine ones Church Buddy has offered. One being that maybe you are not the one that needs to be praying for this person. Maybe someone else is supposed to be praying for them. I know this has happened to me before. I asked some friends who are better at spiritual warfare than I am, since I have no experience, to pray for a friend of mine. My wife, one person I asked to pray for him, did not pray for him, because God told her not to, she told me that God said this was a time for me to learn some stuff, so she helped/coached me on what to pray. But she got a very clear word from the Lord saying not this one, let him learn. So maybe go to a spiritual elder and ask them to join in prayer with you about what should happen and ask the Lord on your own why you are being told not to pray for this person. If you pray and listen I am sure he will answer.

My other advice would be to ask/pray for protection before you start really praying. Also when you are praying pause and listen to see if God is saying anything to you. Ask the Lord questions. I find that if I ask and sit still and wait and listen he always tells me something, it might not answer my question but it is something I need to hear.

I will pray for you and your troubles with prayer blocks and feeling that God is not near or listening.
    Almighty God, Father of all mercies, I come to you now, thanking you for your servant, Equipped_4_Love. Lord I pray that you would make yourself know to him/her. Break the walls between you and him/her. Pour out your Spirit, on him/her. Father take Equipped_4_Love into your arms and comfort him/her, breath out your Spirit, whisper into his/her ear your words of love and comfort. Show him/her the power of his/her prayer. I pray that you would give him/her a glimpse of how prayer works, what it does, and what you are doing because of his/her prayer. May Equipped_4_Love continue to grow into the likeness of your Son, our Lord, and be encouraged to keep praying, especially when you feel distant, because when you feel far you are usually closer to us then we know. I ask all these things Father, through your Son, our Lord, Jesus Christ, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God now and forever. Amen.

I would also suggest you look into St John of the Cross's book The Dark Night of the Soul. As I believe I said in another thread that you started this feeling that God is far away is usually a sign that we are going through a Dark Night. God feels distant but really he is very, very close, usually closer than he has ever been to us. But we don't understand that until the Dawn has broken and we see God there in front of us, holding us, comforting us, blessing us. The Dawn usually comes with a renewed spiritual sense and an even greater understanding of God's love.

The prophet Samuel experienced God telling him not to mourn for King Saul.

1 Sam 15:34-16:1

34 Then Samuel went to Ramah, but Saul went up to his house at Gibeah of Saul. 35 Samuel did not see Saul again until the day of his death; for Samuel grieved over Saul. And the Lord regretted that He had made Saul king over Israel.

Samuel Goes to Bethlehem

16 Now the Lord said to Samuel, "How long will you grieve over Saul, since I have rejected him from being king over Israel? Fill your horn with oil and go; I will send you to Jesse the Bethlehemite, for I have selected a king for Myself among his sons."
    NASU

Yet, we see that Abraham prayed for Sodom and Gomorrah and it didn't bother the Lord at all even though God had determined to judge them. Sodom was filled with unbelievers, while Saul was a believer.

In your prayer, are you mourning over someone that perhaps is coming under chastisement that is a believer?

It could be Satan trying to interfere with your prayer over this person. But it sounds odd that he would only do so when you are praying for this one person.

Another thing about Samuel and prayer...

1 Sam 12:23-25
    23 "Moreover, as for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the Lord by ceasing to pray for you; but I will instruct you in the good and right way. 24 " Only fear the Lord and serve Him in truth with all your heart; for consider what great things He has done for you. 25 " But if you still do wickedly, both you and your king will be swept away."
    NASU

Samuel considered it a sin against God to stop praying for the nation of Israel.

But when God told him to stop mourning over Saul being removed as a king, it would not seem that God would have listened to a prayer to return the kingdom of Israel to Saul.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Prayer is a ministry that all Christians are to be involved in. It is not unexpected that our adversary should come against us when we pray especially if we endeavor to pray often and fervently. Our adversary knows our flesh is weak and he will use that weakness against us if we are not careful and wary.

If you have examined yourself, are in fellowship with the Lord, and are led to pray then do not stop even if you must ask the Lord to take up for you in your lack of ability to pray for this individual. The Holy Spirit will intercede for us when we cannot find the words to pray for a specific need. The Holy Spirit making groanings for us which cannot be uttered. Rom 8:26 Our adversary does not need to war against those who are ineffective in the ministry of prayer.

There have been times when I simply prayed for the Lords will to be done in some matters. My will would have been for certain things to be done but I have come to know that the Lord knows the situation much better than me.

For the cause of Christ
    Roger

Blog Entries

WOW!!!! Your insights have helped me tremendously....thank you!!

If you feel like God is angry at you, it is NOT of God! Rebuke the devil by the authority delegated to you by Jesus Christ.
    Thats another thing....how do you rebuke the enemy? Do you say "I rebuke you" or "The Lord rebuke you," or do you ask Jesus to rebuke him? I dont want to cross any lines. I'm not too sure if its ok to say "I rebuke you."

My other advice would be to ask/pray for protection before you start really praying.
    Wow....that is AWESOME advice. That hadn't even crossed my mind.

I would also suggest you look into St John of the Cross's book The Dark Night of the Soul. As I believe I said in another thread that you started this feeling that God is far away is usually a sign that we are going through a Dark Night. God feels distant but really he is very, very close, usually closer than he has ever been to us. But we don't understand that until the Dawn has broken and we see God there in front of us, holding us, comforting us, blessing us. The Dawn usually comes with a renewed spiritual sense and an even greater understanding of God's love.
    Yes, someone else had suggested that book, also. I will have to check into it. Thank you

Thread Information