cure-real

View Poll Results: What is God's gender?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • God is male

10 25.00%
  • God is female

1 2.50%
  • God is genderless

20 50.00%
  • God is different genders at different times

0 0%
  • God is male, female and genderless all at the same time

3 7.50%
  • Other (please specify)

6 15.00%
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: What is God's gender?

Question What is God's gender?

Is God male, female or genderless?

Genesis 41:25
    Then Joseph said to Pharaoh, "The dreams of Pharaoh are one and the same. God has revealed to Pharaoh what he is about to do.

Exodus 15:1
    [ The Song of Moses and Miriam ] Then Moses and the Israelites sang this song to the LORD : "I will sing to the LORD, for he is highly exalted. The horse and its rider he has hurled into the sea.

1 Samuel 3:18
    So Samuel told him everything, hiding nothing from him. Then Eli said, "He is the LORD; let him do what is good in his eyes."

1 Chronicles 16:14
    He is the LORD our God; his judgments are in all the earth.

God is a male.
    Psalm 19:14
    May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
    be pleasing in your sight,
    O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.

Hi Madrid please keep in mind we refer to scriptures for our answers:

The Father=Male

The Son=Male
    If Satan can keep us busy swinging our swords at one another, there is no hope of a united attack on the kingdom of darkness. KJV, NIV, ESV or ABCDEFG; there is no time to bicker over such things. We'll devour each other if allowed to continue. We should grab the marching orders written in the way we best understand and get to work.

Andrew_no_one

Male of course. I've yet to meet a famale father.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew_no_one View Post
    Genesis 41:25
    Then Joseph said to Pharaoh, "The dreams of Pharaoh are one and the same. God has revealed to Pharaoh what he is about to do.

Exodus 15:1
    [ The Song of Moses and Miriam ] Then Moses and the Israelites sang this song to the LORD : "I will sing to the LORD, for he is highly exalted. The horse and its rider he has hurled into the sea.

1 Samuel 3:18
    So Samuel told him everything, hiding nothing from him. Then Eli said, "He is the LORD; let him do what is good in his eyes."

1 Chronicles 16:14
    He is the LORD our God; his judgments are in all the earth.

God is a male.
    Does God have genitalia that distinguishes him as being male instead of being female? Is being called "he" enough to make someone male?
    If the latter is true, then if I refer to a female who is genetically female (with female genitalia) as a "he", does that make her male?

Quote Originally Posted by -SEEKING- View Post
    Male of course. I've yet to meet a famale father.
    Does God have any kind of biological makeup? If not, then how could he be male? If so, then where are the things that give him physical characteristics?

Quote Originally Posted by Madrid View Post
    Does God have genitalia that distinguishes him as being male instead of being female? Is being called "he" enough to make someone male?
    If the latter is true, then if I refer to a female who is genetically female (with female genitalia) as a "he", does that make her male?
    Jesus said if you have seen me, you have seen my Father. Jesus was a male; male genitalia and all.

Blog Entries
    John 4:24-"God is a Spirit: and they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth."

God is always referred to as He, Him or His. I agree with Seeker, "Father" pretty much indicates what God is referring to Himself as.
    .................The message of the cross divides the human race." ~MW~

........ ... " LORD, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant..."
    .................................................. .................................................. ...Nehemiah 1:11a

I believe that God is genderless in that he neither has male genitalia (which I'll qualify in one second) and isn't the male half of some kind of God species.

But what about Jesus?
    Yes, when Jesus was with us, he was quite clearly male with male genitalia.

If genderless, why "father", "son", and other masculine descriptors?
    Likely because the roles of "father" "son" and other such masculine uses are the closest things our human minds can grasp about his nature. We call him Father not because he has male genitalia, and not because he engaged in coitus with our mothers, but because that's how God is to humans relationally.

God is Spirit (John 4:24), and so of course human terms like "male" and "female" do not apply -- though, as HisLeast says, Jesus, with respect to his human nature, was of course a human male.

However, with very rare exceptions (e.g. Matthew 23:37, Isaiah 66:12-13), the Bible describes God's relationship with humanity in terms of the masculine roles of father and husband.

There are two things to consider when asking this question:

What is sex? "Sex" is the physical, biological distinction between the two kinds of human beings. A male human has, simply, male biology. A female human, likewise, has female biology.

What is gender? "Gender" is the non-physical, personal distinction between human beings. While "sex" only has two possible distinction, "gender" has a gradient range of distinctions, falling between masculine and feminine, none of which has to do with physical, biological distinctions. "Gender" is based on commonly accepted roles, cultural norms, and familial hierarchies. While the "sex" of male is stereotyped as having certain "gender" characteristics, and likewise with the "sex" of female, most of them are not required. In other words, masculine males and feminine females are the commonly accepted norms, but it is possible to be a feminine male and a masculine female.

How the two relate: Because most males are masculine, it follows suit that most masculine roles, cultural norms, and familial hierarch are treated as being strictly male-only. In other words, although a "Father" as a family hierarch is a gender-role, it has been cemented as a male-only gender-role. Hence, you won't find any female fathers, nor will you find male mothers. Likewise, kings (gender-role) are strictly male (sex); husbands (gender-role) are strictly male (sex).

Where does God fall in this? Since God is not physical, nor is he biological, he does not have a "sex", in that he is not male, nor is he female. God is sexless. And although Scripture various characteristics which we recognize as masculine and feminine, Scripture overwhelmingly depicts God as having a masculine "gender", from the absolute use of "he" and "him", to the application of terms such as Master, Lord, Father, King, Husband, etc. Since Scripture overwhelmingly refers to God using male-only terminology (he, him, his) and male-only gender-roles (Master, Lord, Father, King, Husband, etc.)... our conclusion is that God does not have a "sex", but he does have a "gender", being masculine.

To nit-pick, the choices are not proper answers for the question. The answer to the question "What is God's gender?" is not "God is male", but rather "God is masculine".

Some have fallen to the peer pressure of being "politically correct" by going out of their way to call God a "she", or to avoid using sex- or gender-based terms at all... But as Christians, we should not deviate from how Scripture reveals God. Scripture reveals God in masculine terminology, so we should refer to God only by masculine terminology.

I knew entering into this conversation that it would quickly become frivolous.
    Do you have any point you'd like to make?
    Psalm 19:14
    May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
    be pleasing in your sight,
    O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.

I believe God is actually genderless. The reason, in my opinion, for the masculine pronouns in the Bible describing the Three persons of the Trinity is because of the Male-dominated society under which the Bible was written.
    Jesus Lives
    Jesús vive
    Iesu wa ikite iru

PUT ON THE FULL ARMOR OF GOD! (Eph 6:11)

Blog Entries
    Is God male, female or genderless?
    God has no gender since he is a spirit.

Blog Entries
    The third person pronoun, "he" is a grammatical gender normally used to indicate the male gender, but it is also used in place of the neuter in cases where the author speaks of persons, rather than things. We do this all the time.

For instance, when speaking about a human baby, we often use the pronoun "he" when we don't know the gender of the baby. I suspect we just can't bring ourselves to call the baby "it", which is derogatory since a person isn't an "it", a thing, or an inanimate object.

Thread Information