cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The twelve apostles

Blog Entries

The twelve apostles

This is probably a really stupid quesion, but I'm going to ask it anyhow.....what is the connection between the 12 apostles and the 12 tribes of Israel. Did each apostle come from a different tribe, or there no connection whatsoever?

Are they the ones who will be sitting at the right hand of Jesus, judging the 12 tribes?

Quote Originally Posted by Welder4Christ View Post
    This is probably a really stupid quesion, but I'm going to ask it anyhow.....what is the connection between the 12 apostles and the 12 tribes of Israel. Did each apostle come from a different tribe, or there no connection whatsoever?

Are they the ones who will be sitting at the right hand of Jesus, judging the 12 tribes?
    Would that mean that they would be judging themselves?

Firstfruits

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Firstfruits View Post

Firstfruits
    LOL...Good point!!

See, told you it was a dumb question.

12 is the number of government
    Some of the apostles were brothers from one tribe so they could not represent 12.
    Yes it will be the 12 apostles -Judas.
    Mat 19:25 When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?
    Mat 19:26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.
    Mat 19:27 Then answered Peter and said unto him, Behold, we have forsaken all, and followed thee; what shall we have therefore?
    Mat 19:28 And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

Joh 6:66 From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.
    Joh 6:67 Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?
    Joh 6:68 Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.
    Joh 6:69 And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God.
    Joh 6:70 Jesus answered them,
    Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil?

Quote Originally Posted by Firstfruits View Post

Firstfruits
    No because the judging is in the regeneration -millennial reign having to do with government- not eternal judgment.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirus View Post
    Some of the apostles were brothers from one tribe so they could not represent 12.
    Oh, yes....of course. Another good point. Thanks. That clarifies a lot.

Didn't Paul replace Judas?

Didn't Paul replace Judas?
    One would think so but technically when Jesus said
    "Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me"
    He was talking to all (ye) the disciples present that truly followed. How many were there that truly followed?

Also, with 12 representing government it doesn't necessarily mean only 12 thrones, but all the thrones that will be a part of running the kingdom in the millennium.

They the 12 not in christ time concerning judas.
    defily along gentiles saints judge world, these 12 jews will judge Isreal. Im sure it signfance in some smybmol to whole of Isreal Jacob the Isreal. Judah the oldest or second oldest brother first birth in blessing right?? not sure.., the messiac line through David is the messiac line. Jospeh so far doenst appear so, I think benjahams and other neaphew later melted as one counted a tribe with Isreal.

this propley nothing but I noticed earthly step father of Christ Jospeh`s father was called Isreal who bared Jospeh. just intresting tibit. Matthew first chapter.

what you say no doubt signfence in it meaning. but what i mentioned not really as far I try to think. if any of readers able, to see connection in it.
    u welcome

Gillian

Nothing in Scripture says that Paul was the apostle who replaced Judas. Simply that he was an apostle for Gentiles... just as Barnabas, who was never counted as one of the Twelve, but is also called an apostle. [Acts 14.14]

Rather, it was Matthias who replaced Judas; in Acts 1 the eleven remaining apostles cast lots to determine which of two individuals would replace Judas in fulfillment of prophecy. That means that Matthias, the one who was chosen, was prophesied to take the place of Judas, and hence, Matthias is the "official" twelfth apostle, not Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillian View Post
    this propley nothing but I noticed earthly step father of Christ Jospeh`s father was called Isreal who bared Jospeh. just intresting tibit. Matthew first chapter.
    I might be misunderstanding you, but I think you're confusing two different men named Joseph.

Israel had twelve sons. Two of the twelve sons were named Judah and Joseph. The step-father of Jesus was named Joseph, yes, but he was not the same person as Joseph the son of Israel. Joseph, the step-father of Jesus, was a descendant of Judah.

Blog Entries
    Okay....so what I'm getting from all of this is that the issue of which tribe they emanated from is a non-issue. Am I correct?

Yep. Nothing in Scripture suggests that that was the reason they were chosen.

As pointed out by Sirus, at least two pairs of the apostles (James & John; Peter & Andrew) were brothers (i.e. from the same tribe).

What we can tell from Scripture, by example, is that the number 12 is symbolic for the Covenant people of God. That is the most likely reason for Jesus choosing 12 apostles.

Quote Originally Posted by markedward View Post
    I might be misunderstanding you, but I think you're confusing two different men named Joseph.

Israel had twelve sons. Two of the twelve sons were named Judah and Joseph. The step-father of Jesus was named Joseph, yes, but he was not the same person as Joseph the son of Israel. Joseph, the step-father of Jesus, was a descendant of Judah.
    you misunderstood me yes. exatly what you say. it just I noticed that and wonder of that bit.

"...Jacob who begat Jospeh who the husband of Mary...." Matthew chapter. these men with names as Jacob begat Josepah in Isreal.

like reading double!! i just wondered of signtance in Matthew because of Christ that all

both sets of men happen to have same name.

It's symbolic. The 12 tribes are the "old Israel" and the 12 apostles represent the "new Israel," so that the 24 elders of Revelation 4 are the old Israel and the new Israel together in Heaven.

Thread Information