cure-real
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How did God come into existence?

Question How did God come into existence?

Just how did God come into existence? I have heard Christians explain their creation theory by saying that if man and the earth are so perfect that there must have been some kind of intelligent design or God behind the creation. But if they feel that man couldn't have existed without a creator, then why don't they carry the same criteria for God and insist that he must have had a creator? Furthermore, if the argument for creation is because it is so perfect that there must be intelligent design, then how can we not be sure that there were billions of attempts to have a perfect creation and we are simply ignoring the billions that failed?

Hi Madrid - I don't want to get into a huge debate right now but here's something to think about:

When Moses asked God what his name was, God told him, I AM. Not I was, not I will be, but I AM. No beginning, no end, He just IS.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrid View Post
    Just how did God come into existence? I have heard Christians explain their creation theory by saying that if man and the earth are so perfect that there must have been some kind of intelligent design or God behind the creation. But if they feel that man couldn't have existed without a creator, then why don't they carry the same criteria for God and insist that he must have had a creator? Furthermore, if the argument for creation is because it is so perfect that there must be intelligent design, then how can we not be sure that there were billions of attempts to have a perfect creation and we are simply ignoring the billions that failed?
    God has always existed. There was no point where God came into existence.

As Christians we like to keep it simple because it's all based on belief, And I believe his Word:

John 1:1-3
    1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2The same was in the beginning with God.

3All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

All things,
    time,
    space,
    you,
    me,
    all things.

Blog Entries
    God has always existed. He is the uncreated, the great I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Vhayes View Post
    Hi Madrid - I don't want to get into a huge debate right now but here's something to think about:

When Moses asked God what his name was, God told him, I AM. Not I was, not I will be, but I AM. No beginning, no end, He just IS.
    Likewise, if your name is Vhayes, and people ask you who you are, you'll be more inclined to say "I am Vhayes" as opposed to "I was Vhayes" or "I will be Vhayes". So your response does practically nothing to answer my original question or where God came from.

And if God responded to Moses' question with "I am", it seems as if he's being evasive or inconsiderate. If God didn't have a name when Moses asked him his name, then God should have said, "I don't have a name". And if God did have a name (for example, his name is Yahweh), then he should have told Moses, "My name is Yahweh".

Quote Originally Posted by Xel'Naga View Post
    God has always existed. There was no point where God came into existence.
    Does God exist in the physical world?
    Does God have physical characteristics?

Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty Sword View Post
    As Christians we like to keep it simple because it's all based on belief, And I believe his Word:

John 1:1-3
    1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2The same was in the beginning with God.

3All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

All things,
    time,
    space,
    you,
    me,
    all things.
    Is God a "thing"?

Quote Originally Posted by newinchrist4now View Post
    God has always existed. He is the uncreated, the great I am.
    Did God exist before the beginning of time?
    If so, who was witness to his existence then?

Blog Entries
    God exist outside of time. He always was and is, no beginning and end. It is just something to believe, you must stop asking for evidence all the time and step out in faith.

Blog Entries
    Could you define those terms for me?

God Himself is the One most able to answer your questions Madrid. And, in fact, He did. All you have to do is read it.
    But then, one must be prepared to accept the answer. If one has determined already in his heart NOT to believe, not to accept the answers, then it's rather pointless to ask them, unless the asking has alterior motives.

Quote Originally Posted by Xel'Naga View Post
    Could you define those terms for me?
    Physical World = having some sort of physical characteristic. The sky is part of the physical world. Yesterday isn't part of the physical world. Love isn't directly part of the physical world, but is dependent on it. Knowledge isn't part of the physical world, but is dependent on it. Where the knowledge is stored is part of the physical world.

Physical characteristics = having mass or occupying space. Love has no physical characteristics. Knowledge has no physical characteristics. The letter M has physical characteristics.

Blog Entries
    Physical World = having some sort of physical characteristic. The sky is part of the physical world. Yesterday isn't part of the physical world. Love isn't directly part of the physical world, but is dependent on it. Knowledge isn't part of the physical world, but is dependent on it. Where the knowledge is stored is part of the physical world.

Physical characteristics = having mass or occupying space. Love has no physical characteristics. Knowledge has no physical characteristics. The letter M has physical characteristics.
    Without disagreeing with your definitions, God can exist "in the physical world," but not necessarily.

God does and does not have physical characteristics. God the Son does, as He's become incarnate in Jesus. God the Father / Holy Spirit don't, as they are Spirit.

Blog Entries
    Hi Madrid,

You ask very good questions. I will humbly attempt to answer them. If I’m not clear, I hope you will be patient and ask for clarification. 

God is the uncaused cause. Everything we see around us was caused by something else. For example, I was born because of my parents. Whether you believe in evolution or creationism, we both believe that the universe and everything in it was caused by something outside itself. GOD is that cause. He is GOD because He has no cause that created Him. Thus, He is the Uncaused Cause. He always existed.

No. God is Spirit and He exists outside of both time and space.

No. Scriptural references to God having hands or wings or other anthropomorphic characteristics are simply metaphors. As I mentioned, God is Spirit. Jesus, the co-existent second member of the Godhead, took on physical form at the incarnation. While I don’t think it is known for sure, I suspect that it was Jesus in a pre-incarnation form that Abraham hosted.

Is God a "thing"?
    Heavens, NO! God is a Spirit. He has attributes. He is not an inanimate object. If He was, He wouldn’t be much of a god, now would He?

Yes, God existed before the beginning of time. God exists outside of time. As to who is the witness of this…well, I guess He’s the only one who was there to confirm it! That, brother, is where the FAITH comes in!

Humbly submitted,
    Frecs

Thread Information