cure-real

Thread: Submissive Wife, what does that REALLY mean?

Submissive Wife, what does that REALLY mean?

What does it really mean when the bible tells us to be submissive to our husbands? I have an idea but I want to hear what you ladies think.

Blog Entries
    Next time, ask a hard question!

Submission means to voluntarily place oneself under the authority of another.

God commands us to obey him, so in Ephesians 5: 22 -24 we are told to submit to our husbands "as unto the Lord." In Eph. 5:33 we are also instructed to honor (reverence) our husbands.

BUT we do not have the hard part and so many have real submission confused with him being a dictator, me being a doormat, having no say in anything.

Men have the harder part! They are commanded to love us (wives) as Christ loved the church and gave Himself for it(Eph 5:25)! That means always putting our good, our well being ahead of their own. It means being willing to die for us.

Look at 1 Cor. 13:4 - Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up;

So the love our husbands have for us is patient and kind and pride plays no part in it. That kind of love will put our well being over his own....we are partners....when we married we became one, not just physically.

Man was created first and woman was created as man's help meet. Since we are one, we really cannot have two heads, can we? I voluntary am the neck - without the neck the head is no good.

Finally, look at Proverbs 31:10-31. Our ideal woman owns businesses, she trades, she is into real estate, but most importantly, she is obedient to God!! Because of this, her husband is pleased and praises her and she has much to do with his good reputation.

When I look at marriage in a biblical light, I see my husband accountable to God but when his heart safely trusts me and he knows that I will only do him good (Prov. 31), there are areas that I am more suited to handle and I do. I see partnership all over the submission issue...
    Come unto me all that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

Quote Originally Posted by Momof5 View Post
    Next time, ask a hard question!

Submission means to voluntarily place oneself under the authority of another.

God commands us to obey him, so in Ephesians 5: 22 -24 we are told to submit to our husbands "as unto the Lord." In Eph. 5:33 we are also instructed to honor (reverence) our husbands.

BUT we do not have the hard part and so many have real submission confused with him being a dictator, me being a doormat, having no say in anything.

Men have the harder part! They are commanded to love us (wives) as Christ loved the church and gave Himself for it(Eph 5:25)! That means always putting our good, our well being ahead of their own. It means being willing to die for us.

Look at 1 Cor. 13:4 - Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up;

So the love our husbands have for us is patient and kind and pride plays no part in it. That kind of love will put our well being over his own....we are partners....when we married we became one, not just physically.

Man was created first and woman was created as man's help meet. Since we are one, we really cannot have two heads, can we? I voluntary am the neck - without the neck the head is no good.

Finally, look at Proverbs 31:10-31. Our ideal woman owns businesses, she trades, she is into real estate, but most importantly, she is obedient to God!! Because of this, her husband is pleased and praises her and she has much to do with his good reputation.

When I look at marriage in a biblical light, I see my husband accountable to God but when his heart safely trusts me and he knows that I will only do him good (Prov. 31), there are areas that I am more suited to handle and I do. I see partnership all over the submission issue...
    Amen and amen, your post has opened my eyes to a lot of things. First, giving me a clear definition of what submission means, and if I don't submit myself under God's authority, theres just no way I'm going to obey Him when He tells me to submit to my husband, right?How we are to honor and respect our husbands. I like what you said about how there cannot be two heads. Also, the point you made about the husband having to love us as Christ loved the church, I only hope and pray one day when my husband gets saved, that he will do that. but that doesn't excuse me from what God has commanded me as a wife to do, regardless of whether my husband is a believer or not, would you agree?

Blog Entries
    I agree that we are responsible for being obedient to God in what He has told us to do. We should submit to our husbands lovingly and willingly (not in things illegal, immoral, sinful, etc.). I like what you said about "when" your husband gets saved, not if...1 Peter 3 - 1) Wives, likewise, be submissive to your own husbands, that even if some do not obey the word, they without a word, may be won by the conduct of their wives, 2) when they observe your chaste conduct accompanied by fear. Fear does not mean fear of your husband, but fear of the Lord....respect for the awesome, mighty God of the universe!

Respect has to be earned, wouldn't you say? But while that is happening, we can still honor our husbands by showing that he can trust us...not talking/complaining about him to our families and friends...always treating him in a respectful way, no belittling. The more husbands trust us, the more we trust them. Trust is a key part of submission.

Again, you are correct....I can only speak for myself, but unless I am submitted to God's authority, I cannot submit to my husband's authority. That is in our nature from mankind's fall in Genesis..
    Come unto me all that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kingsdaughter View Post
    Amen and amen, your post has opened my eyes to a lot of things. First, giving me a clear definition of what submission means, and if I don't submit myself under God's authority, theres just no way I'm going to obey Him when He tells me to submit to my husband, right?How we are to honor and respect our husbands. I like what you said about how there cannot be two heads. Also, the point you made about the husband having to love us as Christ loved the church, I only hope and pray one day when my husband gets saved, that he will do that. but that doesn't excuse me from what God has commanded me as a wife to do, regardless of whether my husband is a believer or not, would you agree?
    Yes because the bible says this:
    1 Corinthians 7
    13 And a woman who has a husband who does not believe, if he is willing to live with her, let her not divorce him. 14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband; otherwise your children would be unclean, but now they are holy. 15 But if the unbeliever departs, let him depart; a brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases. But God has called us to peace. 16 For how do you know, O wife, whether you will save your husband? Or how do you know, O husband, whether you will save your wife?

And seeing him as the leader actually makes a great witness for Christ. Christ submitted to God the Father...yet none of us think less of Him do we? Of course not. He submitted by doing His Father's will setting the greatest example for all of us. Living as a Christian wife will be the greatest witness you can give to your husband and children.

God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Rejoicing for mama in Heaven but missing her while Daddy is comforting us and showering us with miracles!
    Blog Entries
    I agree with all of this......

For me the situation is slightly different...... I am submitting to my husband, but he gives me a lot of control because he doesn't speak the language of the country...... I handle the finances and I stand up for him when someone talks to him in my language....... but no matter whether if he understands it or not, I will continue to speak highly of him in any kind of language and he knows that and trusts me in that....... I will never let him down in public...... and the only time I might say something is when we argue, and that hardly happens....... He is clearly the leader of our home..... but gives me much room to live in........ When I would like something, we can always talk about something....... He is the best husband I could ever have, and my love for him is very great..... the only One I love more than him is Daddy...... we both do......

Love you lots,
    Mieke
    Just to know You and to make You known
    We lift Your Name on High
    Shine like the sun and make the darkness run and hide
    We know we were made for so much more than ordinairy lives
    Itís time for us to more than just survive
    We were made to THRIVE!

Casting Crowns

Quote Originally Posted by Momof5 View Post
    I agree that we are responsible for being obedient to God in what He has told us to do. We should submit to our husbands lovingly and willingly (not in things illegal, immoral, sinful, etc.). I like what you said about "when" your husband gets saved, not if...1 Peter 3 - 1) Wives, likewise, be submissive to your own husbands, that even if some do not obey the word, they without a word, may be won by the conduct of their wives, 2) when they observe your chaste conduct accompanied by fear. Fear does not mean fear of your husband, but fear of the Lord....respect for the awesome, mighty God of the universe!

Respect has to be earned, wouldn't you say? But while that is happening, we can still honor our husbands by showing that he can trust us...not talking/complaining about him to our families and friends...always treating him in a respectful way, no belittling. The more husbands trust us, the more we trust them. Trust is a key part of submission.

Again, you are correct....I can only speak for myself, but unless I am submitted to God's authority, I cannot submit to my husband's authority. That is in our nature from mankind's fall in Genesis..
    Right,i learned the hard way how not to complain, there is power in the tongue!and I think alot of women, good christian women don't always realize that.(gossip, slander,backbiting,complaining) Our words hold power, just like the bible says. As far as respect? My husband hasn't earned it, he's a harsh man, but I give it to him anyway and because of that, he trusts me. I so agree with that last part, and how it is in our very nature to rebel against God, and that the carnal mind cannot submit to God's law it is even HOSTILE towards God. Thank you Lord that through the Spirit we can put to death these thoughts of rebellion towards God.

Quote Originally Posted by moonglow View Post
    Yes because the bible says this:
    1 Corinthians 7
    13 And a woman who has a husband who does not believe, if he is willing to live with her, let her not divorce him. 14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband; otherwise your children would be unclean, but now they are holy. 15 But if the unbeliever departs, let him depart; a brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases. But God has called us to peace. 16 For how do you know, O wife, whether you will save your husband? Or how do you know, O husband, whether you will save your wife?

And seeing him as the leader actually makes a great witness for Christ. Christ submitted to God the Father...yet none of us think less of Him do we? Of course not. He submitted by doing His Father's will setting the greatest example for all of us. Living as a Christian wife will be the greatest witness you can give to your husband and children.

God bless
    Amen! I absolutely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by miepie View Post
    I agree with all of this......

For me the situation is slightly different...... I am submitting to my husband, but he gives me a lot of control because he doesn't speak the language of the country...... I handle the finances and I stand up for him when someone talks to him in my language....... but no matter whether if he understands it or not, I will continue to speak highly of him in any kind of language and he knows that and trusts me in that....... I will never let him down in public...... and the only time I might say something is when we argue, and that hardly happens....... He is clearly the leader of our home..... but gives me much room to live in........ When I would like something, we can always talk about something....... He is the best husband I could ever have, and my love for him is very great..... the only One I love more than him is Daddy...... we both do......

Love you lots,
    Mieke
    A beautiful testimony of a love marriage relationship, you and your husband, you and Christ, your husband and Christ!

Blog Entries
    I agree with you as well. Being submissive is an act of obedience. Just as God expects us to be obedient to Him, we are given the same commandments for a family life to abide. Of course the level of obedience should be in accordance with what Christ approves of us to do.

...Ivory

Thread Information