cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Young men and Responsibility.

Young men and Responsibility.

There is a real lack of responsibility in my generation and it wears thin (on me) sometimes. We are a generation of 20 something year old boys who still somehow think we are in our teens. It should be a blow to our pride to still be so thoughtless. I think Mark Driscoll was right in saying the new best pickup line for a Christian single man is: "I love Jesus, i have a job, and i am moving out of my parents place!"

Any thoughts on this?
    "Few men are born brave. Many become so through training and force of discipline"
    -Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead." - James 2:26

Watch This! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyheJ480LYA - Christian Artist Lecrae

I honestly feel that it falls back on the parents. Last year I was interviewing to be a "corrections councilor" at a juvenile correctional facility. One of the questions I was asked was, "why do you think most of these kids are here?"

I said because their parents failed them. The guy put down his pen & took off his glasses and asked me what I meant. I told him that if their parents had actually done their job and taught their kids right and wrong, how to be responsible and that their actions have consequences. Instead of doing that, they tried to be a friend... Parents can be a friend... when their kids are finishing college and starting their life. Until then, you give then enough line that they are capable of handling, but stay on the "Parent soapbox"

I do agree that my generation, parents now in their late 30's and 40's have failed in teaching our children the things they need to know to leave the nest. Maybe we thought we would always be able to do for them...i don't know, but it's sad...

Maybe we did not realise the need to be strict like our parents were...

Look at the kids that come home from boot camp. They have manors, say please & thank you, and act appropriately... what's funny is their Drill Instructors DON'T teach them this...

Quote Originally Posted by Jurell View Post
    I honestly feel that it falls back on the parents. Last year I was interviewing to be a "corrections councilor" at a juvenile correctional facility. One of the questions I was asked was, "why do you think most of these kids are here?"

I said because their parents failed them. The guy put down his pen & took off his glasses and asked me what I meant. I told him that if their parents had actually done their job and taught their kids right and wrong, how to be responsible and that their actions have consequences. Instead of doing that, they tried to be a friend... Parents can be a friend... when their kids are finishing college and starting their life. Until then, you give then enough line that they are capable of handling, but stay on the "Parent soapbox"
    You get the job?
    "Few men are born brave. Many become so through training and force of discipline"

"As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead." - James 2:26

Watch This! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyheJ480LYA - Christian Artist Lecrae

I was offered the job, but did not take it. I found something else that paid better, had better hours and was A LOT less stress.

Growing up in the country, there was always fence to be built, hay to be hauled, horse lots to be cleaned, and all kinds of other wonderful things to do. My parents told me at the time that it "built character." I didn't believe them until I went off to college. Since then, I've met a whole lot of people who could benefit greatly from a summer of hauling hay!
    We long to be known and we fear it like nothing else.
    Most people live with subtle dread that one day,
    they will be discovered for who they really are,
    and the world will be appalled.
    - Curtis, Brent and John Eldredge,
    The Sacred Romance: Drawing Closer to the Heart of God

The joy is not in hiding, the joy is in being found.
    - David Terry

My Testimony

You've hit the nail on the head. I agree with you 100%.

Well what about the kids who have been raised by one parent? Whether by divorce, separation, or even death, you have to give those parents some slack. I've been a youth minister/director for a few years now and I've seen kids get into trouble because they haven't had both parents in the house to discipline them when they do wrong. You acn't really blame parents (at least not both of them) when they aren't able to help each other out with their children's growth.

Quote Originally Posted by baxpack7 View Post
    Well what about the kids who have been raised by one parent? Whether by divorce, separation, or even death, you have to give those parents some slack. I've been a youth minister/director for a few years now and I've seen kids get into trouble because they haven't had both parents in the house to discipline them when they do wrong. You acn't really blame parents (at least not both of them) when they aren't able to help each other out with their children's growth.
    I am generalising that kids generally arent given the responsibility they need to become men.

Quote Originally Posted by Revinius View Post
    I am generalising that kids generally arent given the responsibility they need to become men.
    Alot of this falls on the fathers not being proper role models for their children. Like my wife says if your walk isn't right with Christ you can't guide anyone else. With the obsession in todays society with self-indulgence, discouraging men to be actual male role models and encouraging them to be more so nice wimps, and the prevalent lack of values its no wonder our children are confused and grow up selfish and with no real sense of reality. I just hope that I can be a good spiritual role model to my two kids and show them there is more to the world then success, good looks, and what makes "them" happy.

I hate to agree with the OP on this. Only cuz it makes me sad.

I manage a 25 year old guy and he has this total entitlement attitude. He actually believes that I owe him this job. He was complaining that he has not moved up to full time sales, within the 4 months he's been with the company. So I showed him why. He's not even doing the bare minimum requirements of his current position. He says that we demand too much of him. To which I replied, "If you think I demand too much, wait til you have customers."

The thing is that every generation seems to get more and more lazy. And then complains about how much they're paid. They guy in my office would not make it in business, 25 years ago. He'd be fired in a heartbeat.
    My body is a temple and my tattoos are the stained glass.

You can take away my worldly things, you can take away my life. There's one thing you can't touch.... MY FAITH IN GOD

www.eviltoddlers.com

..._______
    ./|___..__|
    |/__/|.|_/
    ...the BIG
    .....|.|_|
    .....|/_/

Well, the problem comes from a lack of Christ. I was a lazy little idiot (still am a little) and it was Christ who made me realise how short life really is and the true basis for getting off my bum -> glorifying Him.

I think parents should always be parents and not friends, like who would you look up to besides Jesus?

Also, we all have the ability to make the right choices according to the universal law of morality, thatwe feelwhat is right and wrong in our hearts...

Quote Originally Posted by Revinius View Post
    Well, the problem comes from a lack of Christ. I was a lazy little idiot (still am a little) and it was Christ who made me realise how short life really is and the true basis for getting off my bum -> glorifying Him.
    Wow... and that points ^^^ (And I know you know what I mean). Basically, either you've changed a lot since then, or the rest of the world (besides you and those upstairs) had better get a little more faith!

-ekeak

Thread Information