cure-real

Thread: Some odd things in the Law in Leviticus

Some odd things in the Law in Leviticus

Why did God forbid certain things in the Law? Most of them made perfect sense, but there are some that seem weird.

Leviticus 19:19
    Keep my decrees.
    Do not mate different kinds of animals.
    Do not plant your field with two kinds of seed.
    Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material.

What does this mean? Does this mean not to make clothes using cloth and wool or to not make clothes of 2 different colors?

Leviticus 19:27-28
    Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard. Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD.

Does this mean not to shave, and the second not to get tatoos in the sense we know them today?

What would have been the purpose of these laws and rules? Curious as to what others think.

Blog Entries
    I know that this passage kicks a sacred doctrinal cow or two... but it does say what it says.

Ezekiel 20:23 "Also I swore to them in the wilderness that I would scatter them among the nations and disperse them among the lands,
    24 because they had not observed My ordinances, but had rejected My statutes, and had profaned My sabbaths, and their eyes were on the idols of their fathers.
    25 "And I also gave them statutes that were not good and ordinances by which they could not live;

To answer your question... it was because they were being punished for their lack of obedience to the simple Ten Laws that God penned with His own finger.

Visit our new website
    ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
    "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Blog Entries
    Leviticus 19:19
    Keep my decrees.
    Do not mate different kinds of animals.
    Do not plant your field with two kinds of seed.
    Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material.

Symbolically this shows the importance of not mixing like with unlike. Israel is to be seperate, not to mix with the nations, is to be peculiar. Everything they do should reflect that particularity and peculiarity.

What does this mean? Does this mean not to make clothes using cloth and wool or to not make clothes of 2 different colors?
    Two different kinds... don't use wool from a goat and wool from a sheep? Or wool from animals of different colours? Whatever it meant literally, figuratively it meant "be ye seperate."

Leviticus 19:27-28
    Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard. Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD.
    People have always cut their hair or had tatoos, or scars, for religious purposes. We still do so today. This scripture is again setting Israel apart from those around them. Also, if you're a man with your hair hanging down from your temples, you can't even move your head without being reminded that you are different from the nations.

Does this mean not to shave, and the second not to get tatoos in the sense we know them today?
    Yup. Not because tatoos are wrong, or shaving is a sin... but because of the religious significance of shaving or body adornment in those days. Out of interest... have you noticed how many people with tattoos have moons, stars, yin yang signs and other pagan marks on them? Tatoos, even today, are still religious.

Well, that's how I read these ordinances anyway.

I also like Peter's suggestion...
    Please could everyone pray for Mieke and Charles.

My testimony http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthr...ight=testimony

Thread Information