cure-real

Thread: Were in the bible does it say angels have wings?

Zorgblar Guest

Were in the bible does it say angels have wings?

Because I have read a good portion of the bible and NO WERE does it say they have wings!

I'm pretty sure it says it of cherubim.

"The cherubim shall spread out their wings above, overshadowing the mercy seat with their wings, their faces one to another; toward the mercy seat shall the faces of the cherubim be" (Exo 25:20).

Angel, from the Greek angelos, simply means "messenger." Typically when the messengers of God appeared to Biblical figures, they appeared mostly human.

Zorgblar Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by enarchay View Post

"The cherubim shall spread out their wings above, overshadowing the mercy seat with their wings, their faces one to another; toward the mercy seat shall the faces of the cherubim be" (Exo 25:20).

Angel, from the Greek angelos, simply means "messenger." Typically when the messengers of God appeared to Biblical figures, they appeared mostly human.
    Sorry I have never read that part of the bible so I guess it DOES say it.

Quote Originally Posted by enarchay View Post

But where in Scripture does it say cherubim are angels/messengers?

Above it stood the seraphims: each one had six wings; with twain he covered his face, and with twain he covered his feet, and with twain he did fly.
    (Isa 6:2)
    What is thy only comfort in life and death?

That I with body and soul, both in life and death, am not my own, but belong unto my faithful Saviour Jesus Christ; who, with his precious blood, has fully satisfied for all my sins, and delivered me from all the power of the devil; and so preserves me that without the will of my heavenly Father, not a hair can fall from my head; yea, that all things must be subservient to my salvation, and therefore, by his Holy Spirit, He also assures me of eternal life, and makes me sincerely willing and ready, henceforth, to live unto him.

Yea, whiles I was speaking in prayer, even the man Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision at the beginning, being caused to fly swiftly, touched me about the time of the evening oblation.

-
    Daniel 9:21

There is also no mention of any female angel in the Bible ever. It is my understanding that the terms used with the word angel are all either male or gender neutral.
    ...be strengthened with power through His Spirit into the inner man, that Christ may make His home in your hearts through faith, that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be full of strength to apprehend with all the saints what the breadth and length and height and depth are and to know the knowledge-surpassing love of Christ, that you may be filled unto all the fullness of God. Eph. 3:16-19

Excerpt from Strand Stuble

Quote Originally Posted by Zorgblar View Post
    Because I have read a good portion of the bible and NO WERE does it say they have wings!

Doctrine of Angels

6:2Angels, according to the Bible, are of two distinct classes:

1) Seraphims (meaning, “burning ones”)
    Seraphims are six-winged creatures whose job it is toguard the holiness of God. The covering of their faces before God with one set of wings denoted their deep reverence for God while the covering of their feet with another set of wings symbolized their humility (Isa 6:2-3).

2) Cherubims (meaning, “to till” or “to plough”)
    Cherubims are two to four-winged creatures whose job it is toguard the work of God (i.e., the Garden of Eden - Gen 3:24, the mercy seat - Heb 9:5, and the work of CHRIST - Ezk 1:5-15 & 10:1-22). Interestingly enough, it was a group of the Cherubims (whose job it is to guard the work of God), not Seraphims (whose job it is to guard the holiness of God), who rebelled against God and fell.
    It’s true: our service for God is never as important as our reverence for God (Lk 10:38-42). In other words, time with God is more important than time for God. Daily devotions are far more important than once a week services, in which we sing and fellowship and give and teach and serve.

Angels are created spirit-beings who possess great power, intelligence, and ability (Ezk 28:14-15). Angels, however, are not omnipotent, omniscient, or omnipresent. They are limited creatures with free will (Isa 14:12-17 & Jude 6 & Rev 12:3-4). They are also immortal beings (meaning they can never die - Lk 20:36). They have angelic bodies that are masculine in gender; yet, they cannot reproduce after their kind. Their existence is mentioned in at least thirty-four books of the Bible: Gen 19:1 & Lev 17:7 & Deut 32:17 & II Sam 24:1 & I Chro 21:1 & II Chro 11:15 & Job 4:18 & Psa 8:5 & Isa 14:12-17 & Ezk 28:11-19 & Dan 8:16 & Zech 3:1 & Mt 4:16 & Mk 1:13 & Lk 2:15 & Jn 1:51 & Acts 7:53 & Rom 8:38 & I Cor 4:9 & II Cor 2:11 & Gal 3:19 & Eph 6:11 & Colo 2:18 & I Thess 2:18 & II Thess 1:7 & I Tim 3:16 & II Tim 2:26 & Heb 1:4 & Jms 4:7 & I Pet 1:12 & II Pet 2:4 & I Jn 2:13 & Jude 6 & and Rev 3:5.

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Out View Post
    Doctrine of Angels

6:2Angels, according to the Bible, are of two distinct classes:

1) Seraphims (meaning, “burning ones”)
    Seraphims are six-winged creatures whose job it is toguard the holiness of God. The covering of their faces before God with one set of wings denoted their deep reverence for God while the covering of their feet with another set of wings symbolized their humility (Isa 6:2-3).

2) Cherubims (meaning, “to till” or “to plough”)
    Cherubims are two to four-winged creatures whose job it is toguard the work of God (i.e., the Garden of Eden - Gen 3:24, the mercy seat - Heb 9:5, and the work of CHRIST - Ezk 1:5-15 & 10:1-22). Interestingly enough, it was a group of the Cherubims (whose job it is to guard the work of God), not Seraphims (whose job it is to guard the holiness of God), who rebelled against God and fell.
    It’s true: our service for God is never as important as our reverence for God (Lk 10:38-42). In other words, time with God is more important than time for God. Daily devotions are far more important than once a week services, in which we sing and fellowship and give and teach and serve.

Angels are created spirit-beings who possess great power, intelligence, and ability (Ezk 28:14-15). Angels, however, are not omnipotent, omniscient, or omnipresent. They are limited creatures with free will (Isa 14:12-17 & Jude 6 & Rev 12:3-4). They are also immortal beings (meaning they can never die - Lk 20:36). They have angelic bodies that are masculine in gender; yet, they cannot reproduce after their kind. Their existence is mentioned in at least thirty-four books of the Bible: Gen 19:1 & Lev 17:7 & Deut 32:17 & II Sam 24:1 & I Chro 21:1 & II Chro 11:15 & Job 4:18 & Psa 8:5 & Isa 14:12-17 & Ezk 28:11-19 & Dan 8:16 & Zech 3:1 & Mt 4:16 & Mk 1:13 & Lk 2:15 & Jn 1:51 & Acts 7:53 & Rom 8:38 & I Cor 4:9 & II Cor 2:11 & Gal 3:19 & Eph 6:11 & Colo 2:18 & I Thess 2:18 & II Thess 1:7 & I Tim 3:16 & II Tim 2:26 & Heb 1:4 & Jms 4:7 & I Pet 1:12 & II Pet 2:4 & I Jn 2:13 & Jude 6 & and Rev 3:5.
    This is a pretty good distinction between seraphim, cherubim, and angels. I agree that both seraphim and cherubim guard or manifest in some manner the attributes or glory of God, however I don't see Scripture clearly defining these imagery or imaginary beings or symbols as angels. God strictly forbids us to make any graven image of any likeness of anything in heaven, yet He tells Moses that the design of the tabernacle and above the mercy seat shall include cherubim. This leaves me to believe that cherubim are not explictly angelic hevenly messengers, but rather divine creatures or symbols that express His sovereign attributes/glory.

The cherubim for instance is a symbolic figure representing certain characteristics of the Glory of God. These winged beings depicted in scripture reveal Spiritual truths pictured in objects, symbols and imagery. The diverse attributes of these creatures are representative of some aspect of the likeness of the Glory of the Lord God Himself. In other words, it is a pictorial similitude, or portrayal, of His divine inherent characteristics. In this figurative likeness, God is prefigured and represented as the consuming fire, the dwelling place, the guiding light, and the energy by which all that is good exists.

Each place where the Cherubim are found, you will find it illustrating some characteristic of the Glory of God. In the book of Isaiah Cherubim portray the dwelling place of God. In Ezekiel they portray the chariot of God's Glory, and His strength of battle. Just as chariots also portray strength of battle of the messengers or angels of God. In Genesis they portray God as the guardian protector. Symbolism is the key to understanding this. Revelation portrays Cherubim (creatures in the midst of the throne in heaven), as the Glory of Christ reigning with His Church. Whether Cherubim appear with two faces, or four faces, with flaming sword, or with coals of fire, it is all to signify some spiritual characteristic of the glory of God.

A seraph is another Hebrew word used in scripture to identify the symbolic creature signifying the likeness of God. These symbolic creatures are all but synonymous with the Cherubim. Seraphim [saraph] in Hebrew means "consuming fire" or to "cause to burn." This is quite consistent with the Cherubim who are associated intimately with fire, as those who walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire, and that had hot coals of fire burning beneath them. Both the Cherubim and the Seraphim are creatures that are expressive of the divine righteousness and Glory of God, which requires man only have access to God, through the fire. These truths are depicted in these symbols.
    In the appearance of these creatures, depending upon the context, God primarily gives us three pictures. One is of Cherubim being the presence and terror of God as He is a consuming fire (Genesis 3:24; Ezekiel 10:2), the warrior and Judge of all the earth. Another shows the divine characteristics of the Glory of God in the symbology of living creatures (Isaiah 6:2-6) with diverse faces depicting strength, sacrifice, atonement, and refuge (Ezekiel 1:4-28, 10:3-22; Revelation 4:6-8). Another is the purpose of God seen in the Cherubim furnishings which were a part of the Temple (Exodus 25:18-22; 1st Kings 6:23-35; 2nd Chronicles 3:7-14; Hebrews 9:5) and intimately identified with the Church. But they all have one thing in common. They all are symbols illustrating some Glory, quality and purpose of the Lord.

Angels however are always defined as messengers of God. These messengers can be spirit beings (angels) as often depicted in the OT, or these messengers can be human beings sent by God. The passage in Daniel saying Gabriel did "fly" swiftly is not speaking of literally flying as a winged creature (bird), but that Gabriel coming to Daniel was swift, without delay, was not made weary.

cherub - of uncertain derivation; a cherub or imaginary figure:--cherub, (plural) cherubims.

seraph - to be (causatively, set) on fire:--(cause to, make a) burn((-ing), up) kindle, X utterly; burning, i.e. (figuratively) poisonous (serpent); specifically, a saraph or symbolical creature (from their copper color):--fiery (serpent), seraph.

angel - from an unused root meaning to despatch as a deputy; a messenger; specifically, of God, i.e. an angel (also a prophet, priest or teacher):--ambassador, angel, king, messenger.

Blessings,
    RW

Thread Information