cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How are we forgiven of mortal sins?

How are we forgiven of mortal sins?

I was wondering how we are forgiven of mortal sins? I read through confession, but God is the only one who has the power to cleanse us of our sins. I always pray and am truly sorry and acknowledge my sins. But I was wondering if I stay away from and repent a mortal sin am I forgiven? Sorry there is so much I do not understand fully.

Thank you and God Bless you all.

Mortal sins are a teaching of the Roman Catholic Church and I believe they can only be forgiven through absolution from a priest. Of course the Bible says there is only "one" Mediator (priest) between God and men and that is Jesus Christ (1 Tim 2:5). Why go to God through a man when you can go directly to Him through Christ? If you have trusted in Christ alone for salvation then you simply have to confess your sins to God who has promised to forgive them (1 John 1:9).

Cheers
    Leigh

Thanks for the reply. That's what I thought. But was unsure. Thank you.

the bible, weather its is the Christian, or catholic bible teaches that if you ask god for forgiveness and truly mean it then you will be forgiven.

in the Underground Realm where there are no lies nor pain...
    Quote Originally Posted by oldfriendsgrave View Post
    the bible, weather its is the Christian, or catholic bible teaches that if you ask god for forgiveness and truly mean it then you will be forgiven.
    Thats correct, according to that denomination's teachings; although they also teach that if one has the oppurtunity to confess, they must.
    "Death is not the end of life, but a change in life"

"Innocence is ugly
    to the one who is guilty"
    -10 Years

Holbrook Johnson: "Those who reason are lost."
    GK Chesterton: "Those who do not reason are not worth finding."

Blog Entries
    You must confess your sins and repent. But that isn't just "mortal" sins, do it for every sin. If the first sin - disobedience of God - can bring death, then any sin (which is basically disobeying God's word) is deadly.
    If you truly repent, God will definitely forgive you of your sins.
    Without Jesus, the world would be naught.

John 1:1-5
    1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.

there is truth in what you say, but the catholic church has confession unlike the lutheren or the pentecostal, but people in these denominations are expected to confess to the lord, and not necessarily to the minister, or the pastor. the confession, to the priest in a catholic church is aslo i believe ment to help keep that person accountable, this is where a significant other is usually used in a pentecostal church.

Quote Originally Posted by Tduncan212 View Post
    I was wondering how we are forgiven of mortal sins? I read through confession, but God is the only one who has the power to cleanse us of our sins. I always pray and am truly sorry and acknowledge my sins. But I was wondering if I stay away from and repent a mortal sin am I forgiven? Sorry there is so much I do not understand fully.

ALL sins are forgiven when you place your trust in Jesus Christ and what He did at Calvary.

He paid the penalty for our sins (death) on the cross - in your place. Forgiveness has nothing to do with continually saying you are sorry...being sorry does not take away the penalty of the sin. Trusting that Christ paid your fine on your behalf is how you get forgiveness.

a sin is a sin

When we ask for forgivness for our sins and go right back out and do the same thing again, we have not trully repented. To repent means to turn away from and go the other way.

Repent:
    In the New Testament, the word translated as 'repentance' is the Greek word μετάνοια (metanoia), "after/behind one's mind", which is a compound word of the preposition 'meta' (after, with), and the verb 'noeo' (to perceive, to think, the result of perceiving or observing). In this compound word the preposition combines the two meanings of time and change, which may be denoted by 'after' and 'different'; so that the whole compound means: 'to think differently after'. Metanoia is therefore primarily an after-thought, different from the former thought; a change of mind accompanied by regret and change of conduct, "change of mind and heart", or, "change of consciousness". One of the key descriptions of repentance in the New Testament is the parable of the prodigal son found in the Gospel of Luke 15 beginning at verse 11.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyFirefighter View Post
    When we ask for forgivness for our sins and go right back out and do the same thing again, we have not trully repented. To repent means to turn away from and go the other way.

Repent:
    In the New Testament, the word translated as 'repentance' is the Greek word μετάνοια (metanoia), "after/behind one's mind", which is a compound word of the preposition 'meta' (after, with), and the verb 'noeo' (to perceive, to think, the result of perceiving or observing). In this compound word the preposition combines the two meanings of time and change, which may be denoted by 'after' and 'different'; so that the whole compound means: 'to think differently after'. Metanoia is therefore primarily an after-thought, different from the former thought; a change of mind accompanied by regret and change of conduct, "change of mind and heart", or, "change of consciousness". One of the key descriptions of repentance in the New Testament is the parable of the prodigal son found in the Gospel of Luke 15 beginning at verse 11.
    You contradicted yourself...you said repent means to 'turn away from sin', then you posted the greek definition of repent which means 'change of mind'.

True biblical repentance is a change of mind, not turning from sin. Change your mind about what? Who you are (a sinner in need of a Savior ) and who Christ is (Savior; God in flesh). We see a perfect example of biblical repentance in the thief on the cross. He recognized who he was and acknowledged who Christ was....then Jesus said that he would be with him in paradise.

It is unbiblical to tell a person that once he/she is saved that they will not sin again. We find many examples of BORN AGAIN BELIEVERS steeped in sinful behavior all throughout the New Testament. All you have to do is read I & II Corinthians. Paul himself said he struggled with sin every day of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Out View Post
    You contradicted yourself...you said repent means to 'turn away from sin', then you posted the greek definition of repent which means 'change of mind'.

True biblical repentance is a change of mind, not turning from sin. Change your mind about what? Who you are (a sinner in need of a Savior ) and who Christ is (Savior; God in flesh). We see a perfect example of biblical repentance in the thief on the cross. He recognized who he was and acknowledged who Christ was....then Jesus said that he would be with him in paradise.

It is unbiblical to tell a person that once he/she is saved that they will not sin again. We find many examples of BORN AGAIN BELIEVERS steeped in sinful behavior all throughout the New Testament. All you have to do is read I & II Corinthians. Paul himself said he struggled with sin every day of his life.
    To "turn away from" the way I see it is a change of mind. If it were not, why would you turn away? You are right when you say that it is unbiblical to tell a person that once he/she is saved that they will not sin again. It is biblical that once saved to be sinless is our goal. in John Jesus says (NIV) "Go now and leave your life of sin." We can live without sin. What we haven't done is found someone that has done it for the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyFirefighter View Post
    To "turn away from" the way I see it is a change of mind. If it were not, why would you turn away? You are right when you say that it is unbiblical to tell a person that once he/she is saved that they will not sin again. It is biblical that once saved to be sinless is our goal. in John Jesus says (NIV) "Go now and leave your life of sin." We can live without sin. What we haven't done is found someone that has done it for the long term.
    Turning away and changing your mind are two different things.

Example -

a) I was standing outside I and turned away from the cold wind.

b) I was standing outside and changed my mind about being outside in the cold wind

(A) implies that a person must DO something (B) implies that a person change their mind about their current condition

So you see turning away and changing your mind is different. If you define repent as 'turn away', it implies that a person must first stop sinning, then trust Christ, then never sin again - since the understanding is that turning from sin is to stop sinning.

This definition is DANGEROUS....we must define the word 'repent' correctly when witnessing to folks.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfriendsgrave View Post
    Only providing you have repented ( had a change of mind [to obey God] resulting in a change of actions) and you are trusting Jesus Christ to have paid the penalty for your Sin, and that He rose from the dead enabling you to rise to New Life with Him . . .

The beautiful farm in the center of heaven!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tduncan212 View Post

ALLLLL sins are mortal. Scripture says...For the wages of sin is death. But we have an advocate, the one who died to pay for our sins..Jesus Christ. Therefore, you go to Jesus in prayer and ask forgiveness, after you have repented (turned away from that sin) and guess what, you're forgiven. Read your bible, you will see that there is nothing in it that demands that we go to a priest to get forgiven. There is only one mediator between God and man, that is the Lord Jesus Christ. Scripture.
    And when you ask Jesus into your heart and make him the Lord of your life, and make him your Saviour, you are now a forgiven sinner. God is the only one able to cleanse us of our sins.
    Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare. Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Out View Post
    Turning away and changing your mind are two different things.

Example -

a) I was standing outside I and turned away from the cold wind.

b) I was standing outside and changed my mind about being outside in the cold wind

(A) implies that a person must DO something (B) implies that a person change their mind about their current condition

So you see turning away and changing your mind is different. If you define repent as 'turn away', it implies that a person must first stop sinning, then trust Christ, then never sin again - since the understanding is that turning from sin is to stop sinning.

This definition is DANGEROUS....we must define the word 'repent' correctly when witnessing to folks.
    If you turn away from the cold wind, your still in the cold wind. Turn away from the cold wind and go inside.

You can change your mind about being in the cold, but unless you turn from the cold and go inside, your standing in the cold with a changed mind. To "turn away from" says, it dosn't imply, that you must do something.

Thread Information