PDA

View Full Version : Older men/younger women...

God's Leading Lady
May 19th 2006, 03:44 PM
What is your opinion about these sort of relationships? This also applies/goes the other way as well.::winks:: Older women and younger men? Do you believe these kinds of relationships to be inappropriate? While I believe that once a person has reached the age/point of "adulthood" they are legally free to date or form a relationship with whoever they choose, there are definitely some aspects and levels of maturity that a 50 year old has reached, as opposed to a 21 year old.

For instance, my father is well over the age of 50, lol. Honestly, if he began to date or even become engaged to someone who was, let's say 23 :lol: , then yes, I would have a certain problem with that.::winks:: What are your thoughts? ;)

lbeaty1981
May 19th 2006, 04:25 PM
Woohoo! I'm the first one to vote! :D

I believe that they're both adults, and that if that's what they want to do, more power to them. That being said, if someone I cared about was in that situation, I would feel it my responsibility to let them know I didn't think it was a good idea. I wouldn't stop being their friend or anything, I would do my best to help them see things from my perspective.

always
May 19th 2006, 04:37 PM
Actually this is the norm in most Eastern cultures, and in biblical times.

That is why the elder women were told to teach the younger women to LOVE, their husbands. The love for them was not there, as we fall in love today, because of the how marriages were arranged,

(a tidbit for the mind) the only woman in the bible that proclaimed love for a man, (Michal) was hurt by him.:hmm:

Ta-An
May 19th 2006, 04:52 PM
Well...uhmmmm.....
......as long as the man can care for and look after his wife....and they love oneanother....

terluvire
May 19th 2006, 05:13 PM
What is your opinion about these sort of relationships? This also applies/goes the other way as well.::winks:: Older women and younger men? Do you believe these kinds of relationships to be inappropriate? While I believe that once a person has reached the age/point of "adulthood" they are legally free to date or form a relationship with whoever they choose, there are definitely some aspects and levels of maturity that a 50 year old has reached, as opposed to a 21 year old.

For instance, my father is well over the age of 50, lol. Honestly, if he began to date or even become engaged to someone who was, let's say 23 :lol: , then yes, I would have a certain problem with that.::winks:: What are your thoughts? ;)

Good Day All,

I, myself, am married to a man 17yrs older than myself and we have been together for 16yrs, married 13yrs.

It all depends on the individuals. For myself, I was always around older people, even when I was in my 20's. Most of my female friends, when I was in my 20's, they were about 15 to 20 years older than myself. I just didn't have anything in common with people my own age. I grew up fast, I had gone through many painful experiences. But through all of it I learned alot and gain alot of wisdom. I always felt much older than those my own age. I couldn't of even imagined being with someone my own age then. They were just too immature. They just seemed so focused on irrelevant things and were not looking at any indepth meaning to anything.

I believe it depends on the emotional maturity of the people. Some younger people are much more mature than those of their own age group. They feel more at home with those who are older and mature.

I would rather pick someone who was closer to my age in maturity than just chronological age.

Just my humble opinion on my own life.:)

Frances
May 19th 2006, 05:49 PM
Amongst my relatives there are marriages, of many years, where the husband is a lot older than the wife, and also where the husband is a lot younger.

The important thing (to my mind) is that they love (are committed to) each other.

always
May 19th 2006, 06:07 PM

I think your dad would have to lift his little girl in prayer, and go on with his life, you will get over it, because you have the Love of Christ dwelling inside of you, and that is your daddy.

rabidchipmunk
May 20th 2006, 09:57 PM
I think it depends on the age gap, but also the people.

WonderWoman4Jesus
May 20th 2006, 10:34 PM
I think a lot of it depends on age maturity. For example, I wouldn't mind dating or marrying a man older than me, just not a lot older. As in his fourties or fifties. The reason being that people change with age. You do not want the same things in life at 25 as you do at 45. Your prorities are different. If you're too far in age, it's hard to be on the same level. Not to mention if you're a lot older than one another one person ages quicker than another. So I'd say that dating older people is okay, just not a lot older.

cheech
May 21st 2006, 12:39 AM
My grandmother's marriage was arranged (in Italy) and my grandfather was 9 years older than she. My brother's wife is 9 years older than he. I have a friend whose hubby is between 10-15 years older than she and they get along great.

It really wouldn't be for me but that's just me. There are many wonderful marriages based on one spouse being older and the other younger. It's all a personal preference. Sometimes I think slug is an old man...he drives like one and it irritates me :D.

qbee
May 21st 2006, 12:56 AM
I have no problem with 2 consenting adults getting married
regardless of their age .. It is a commitment to love and
respect and to cherish one another before God ..

I am 13 yrs older than my husband :D and see no problem with
that and neither does he .. Love does not change becuase
one gets older .. our circumstances and lifestyles do but love
has nothing to do with your age difference ..

There is nothing in Gods word about one having to be
the same age or close in age to have a fufilling marriage
when God is the head of your family age doesnt factor
in to what is right or wrong. That you love one another
does .. that is what is important ..

Wise-Owl
May 30th 2006, 03:24 PM
An example, Ruth and Boaz. Many cultures have a large difference in age. When my mom and dad married, he was 32 and she 16. In their generation men married when they could afford a family and women in their best child bearing time. Security for the family has always been very important to women. In many cultures 'love' is down the list of importance. Just some thoughts, Nick.

P.S. My dad never caught up with mom in the maturity level.

MeInKC
May 31st 2006, 03:30 AM
Jacob was quite a bit older than Rachel. Boaz was much older than Ruth, from the gist of the original Hebrew text. Joseph was likely older than Mary.

Please understand I'm not condoning it in this day and age. I don't know anyone whom I would describe as a Boaz to a younger woman's Ruth (although upon further review, there are a lot of Jacobs and Rachels running around <--- think about it, it ain't a compliment!) but that's probably another thread!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I think its foolish, myself. But then again, I haven't had a 20-something (or even a 30-something) give me the time of day lately, so who knows what would happen if she did?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

OK, I think I fractured my ego-bone on that one, so I'll quit.

Love&Mercy
Nov 14th 2006, 04:38 PM
I voted no as long as they're both consenting adults but I have limits to that belief. My husband is 12 years older than me but mentally and spiritually we are on the same page. What I don't agree with is 18 year olds with 50 year olds. That just makes no sense to me and it turns my stomach.:confused

Love&Mercy
:pray:

Bashful
Nov 15th 2006, 11:14 AM
It depends on the people. Some people mature faster. I don't like lumping everybody under a blanket statement.

andrew_apostle
Nov 15th 2006, 02:15 PM
I am six years older than my better half. I don't know if that counts as an age difference or not.

Chibi*Bug
Nov 17th 2006, 07:40 PM
My hubby is almost 10 years my senior and I love it! I see nothing wrong as long as they are both adults.

It is funny to think though that when I was 5, my hubby was 15 or when I was 10, he was 20....ewwwwwwww:lol:

miepie
Nov 17th 2006, 09:06 PM
My hubby is 15 years older than me and I love it! I love having a man who is not wanting to discover the world anymore but likes being quietly at home....... :D Because I am bedridden, an older man for me is a plus! Also I keep him young and he makes me more mature....... and 41 does not sound half as old anymore when he turns 56........ :lol:

Love you,
Mieke :kiss:

Tonton
Nov 7th 2007, 09:50 PM
I voted that it is OK. Mary was probably in her teens, while Joseph may very well have been quite old.

Age differences are certainly challenging, but the key question (to ANY marriage) is whether the marriage is the will of God - that is determined through prayer and waiting on Him for an answer.

Anton

WonderWoman4Jesus
Nov 9th 2007, 03:42 AM
I would like to marry an older man myself. I believe there are certain ages where it is difficult to have your life expierances intersect. For example, it would be difficult for a twenty-year-old and a fourty-year-old to have a marriage. The twenty-year-old's view of the world and want he or she wants from life is vastly different from that of the fourty-year-old's. I think if there's not a drastic age gap, it can work fine.

lupins_girl
Nov 18th 2007, 05:25 AM
I think it's a good thing as long as they are compatible. My boyfriend is older than me but I couldn't imagine a better match.

Athanasius
Jan 10th 2008, 08:03 PM
As long as both adults are consenting and otherwise sure of what they are doing.
I'd have to draw the line though at older 20's (25+, say) as opposed to younger.
I tend to attract women 9-10 years older than myself. . . Which is odd. Considering the gay guys I attract are around my age. . .

But hey, nice weather today, isn't it?
I usually (gold digger) don't have a problem with it.

bornagain
Jan 23rd 2008, 04:11 AM
My wife is 12 years older than me. We have been married nearly 19 years. I dont agree with some 40 or 50 year old guy with a girl say 18 but to each his own.

JordanW
May 17th 2008, 08:00 AM
I don't see anything wrong if they are both adults.

BadDog
Aug 7th 2008, 02:59 AM
I'm 8 years older than my wife... once dated someone 14 years my junior. (But the latter not for long.)

TRL1957
Aug 10th 2008, 02:21 AM
I think it is a personal choice between two consenting adults. If they choose to marry, the main concern should be, is this God's will. This should be the basis for any marriage, at any age.

Romulus
Aug 13th 2008, 07:42 PM
I am seeing a woman 10+ years older(can't give her age away;).) I don't see anything wrong with it. She has a beautiful heart and is quite a stunner. Anyway, we were both best friends first. It is really up to each individual what they are okay with. Dating under the age of 18 when you are over 18 is not good whether you are male or female.

The way to calculate if an age is appropriate is

1) half-your age

2) Plus 7

If you are 50, half your age is 25, plus 7 which equals 32. The youngest you should date whether you are a male or female is 32. There are exceptions but generally this is the way to go, especially if you are younger such as in your twenties and wish to date younger then you. Notice as you get older the gap becomes greater as to how young is appropriate, when you are younger the gap is very small.

Remember when all is said and done, after the looks go(which they will) it is the heart that you are left with. A good heart it hard to find, so if you find a heart that is beautiful but there is an age difference, consider that age is just a number. ;)

imreedemed
Jan 28th 2014, 06:36 AM
I'm sorry to un-earth this old thread but this issue has been on my mind for a while.

I've met a beautiful lady with a wonderful and caring heart. She's loves serving people and has a heart of Christ. I won't mind dating and even marrying her even with the 10+ difference. I really think as long as it's God's will it's cool. i just need to keep on praying and know if it's His will.

Blessings

Curtis
Jan 28th 2014, 05:26 PM
I think there should be a limit on their difference. How about someone 80 years old marrying a 24 year old. There has to be something else going on there. $$$$

Kalahari
Jan 28th 2014, 06:59 PM
Well with medical assistance nowadays you could get to 120, so at 80 you still have 40 to go!

Curtis
Jan 28th 2014, 07:09 PM
Well with medical assistance nowadays you could get to 120, so at 80 you still have 40 to go!

When was the last time you saw a 120 year old person. At 61 years young I might not want to see what I would look like at 120. :)

Kalahari
Jan 28th 2014, 07:48 PM
When was the last time you saw a 120 year old person. At 61 years young I might not want to see what I would look like at 120. :)

So you are just entering your middle ages.:pp

Aviyah
Jan 28th 2014, 09:33 PM
I don't think there's anything in the Bible about age restrictions, but there are few scenarios where such relationships actually work.

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77