PDA

View Full Version : More than one Unpardonable Sin ?

Gilligan
Feb 23rd 2010, 03:44 PM
I had always been taught that the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost was the only unforgivable sin. There seem to be other sins that are unforgivable as well. Such as continued disobedience in the case of King Saul (God answered him no more).

Esau selling his birthright (God saying Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated). In Malachi 1:2-3 that seems to mean Edom, but in Romans 9:13 it seems to refer to the persons themselves.

Also, Hebrews 6:4-6 and 10:26 seems to imply that any willful sin after conversion results in one crossing the deadline. How many unpardonable sins are there?

-SEEKING-
Feb 23rd 2010, 03:51 PM
According to Jesus only one.

Vhayes
Feb 23rd 2010, 03:53 PM
Does anyone attain salvation other than through Christ? No? then i would say telling the Holy Spirit you don't need His seal unto the day of redemption is the only sin that will keep you out of God's presence. the sin of unbelief.

Gilligan
Feb 23rd 2010, 03:55 PM
According to Jesus only one.

I know Jesus said there is only one, so how could selling birthright and repeated disobedience also be unforgivable sins?

ClayInHisHands
Feb 23rd 2010, 06:19 PM
I believe Esau never truly loved God more than himself. I also hold the same for Saul. Saul may have in the beginning, but his selfishness and pride took root and killed him spiritually. So in the case with Saul we might see how one can come to a point of refusing to repent and thus that would be rejecting God. However, this is just my opinion when ever I think of these two men.

Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit I believe is the 'only' unpardonable sin.....because my Master said so.

In Christ's Love

Naphal
Feb 23rd 2010, 10:53 PM
There is actually more than one sin that is unforgiveable:

The one we are normally aware of is blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

mk 3:28 Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:

mk 3:29 But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation.

But there is another sin that isn't forgivable:

Here we have where someone receives all the gifts God has to give, but then falls away.

Hebrews 6:4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
Hebrews 6:5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
Hebrews 6:6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

These verses are addressing those who were real Christians who had the Holy Spirit, knew the truth of the bible, tasted of the powers of the next age of the eternity and of the heavenly gift thereof and still decided to turn away from Christ. This is also what the unforgivable sin is as this is a great offense to the HS who dwelt in them. These are much like satan who once was very loyal but who turned his back on everything. This isn't about race, its about Christians who have received more power and knowledge and everything than most ever dream of receiving and then they forsake it all for evil. This would be like Paul or John or any of the prophets deciding to side with satan and fight against God after satan is released from the pit. That's how special and important these former Christians were.

Then we have the changing of the word of God.

QUOTE(KJV Rev. 22)
18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Notice that this is a two fold curse.

1) If you add to the word, the plagues will be added upon to you.
2) If you take away from the word. Your part shall be taken out of the book of life, the Holy City, and the things written in this book. Which would include salvation. Being taken out of the book of life, means you were in it. Can't be removed from where you never existed.

Another is committed by fallen angels whom as we know shall join Satan in eternal death. They cannot be forgiven of the punishment they have received.

Jude 1:6 And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.

2 Peter 2:4 For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;

Naphal
Feb 23rd 2010, 10:55 PM
Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit I believe is the 'only' unpardonable sin.....because my Master said so.

Jesus never said it was the only one.

ClayInHisHands
Feb 24th 2010, 12:36 AM
Jesus never said it was the only one.

Mark 3:28-29

28 Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:
29 But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation.

I agree with the other things you said also. However, as far as it pertains to us ....NOTHING we do can not NOT be forgiven except verse 29.

Again I do agree with the other things you said, but the Hebrews verses referenced I believe pertain to rejecting Christ(in a sense I think that's like Blaspheming the Holy Spirit). As well as Revelations...adding and taking away I liken to Blaspheming the Holy Spirit. No direspect to you was intended, for I do not claim, nor will I ever claim to know everything about God's Word.

In Christ's Love

Gilligan
Feb 24th 2010, 07:11 PM
There is actually more than one sin that is unforgiveable:

The one we are normally aware of is blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

mk 3:28 Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:

mk 3:29 But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation.

But there is another sin that isn't forgivable:

Here we have where someone receives all the gifts God has to give, but then falls away.

Hebrews 6:4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
Hebrews 6:5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
Hebrews 6:6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

These verses are addressing those who were real Christians who had the Holy Spirit, knew the truth of the bible, tasted of the powers of the next age of the eternity and of the heavenly gift thereof and still decided to turn away from Christ. This is also what the unforgivable sin is as this is a great offense to the HS who dwelt in them. These are much like satan who once was very loyal but who turned his back on everything. This isn't about race, its about Christians who have received more power and knowledge and everything than most ever dream of receiving and then they forsake it all for evil. This would be like Paul or John or any of the prophets deciding to side with satan and fight against God after satan is released from the pit. That's how special and important these former Christians were.

Then we have the changing of the word of God.

QUOTE(KJV Rev. 22)
18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Notice that this is a two fold curse.

1) If you add to the word, the plagues will be added upon to you.
2) If you take away from the word. Your part shall be taken out of the book of life, the Holy City, and the things written in this book. Which would include salvation. Being taken out of the book of life, means you were in it. Can't be removed from where you never existed.

Another is committed by fallen angels whom as we know shall join Satan in eternal death. They cannot be forgiven of the punishment they have received.

Jude 1:6 And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.

2 Peter 2:4 For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;
So is Hebrews implying that a person who had been truly converted and yet sins, like if he stole something or told a lie, he cannot be forgiven?

Freek
Feb 24th 2010, 08:01 PM
So is Hebrews implying that a person who had been truly converted and yet sins, like if he stole something or told a lie, he cannot be forgiven?

No that is not what it is saying. It's something much more serious if it is compared to crucifying Christ again.

Naphal
Feb 25th 2010, 01:30 AM

No, its talking about someone who fully and truely believes in Christ, someone that has experienced the HS and all the even of the powers of the next world, and should that person defect to a false god or reject Christ, that it is impossible to bring them to repententance. It would be like Paul renouncing his faith before he died.

Clydson
Feb 25th 2010, 02:46 AM
I had always been taught that the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost was the only unforgivable sin. There seem to be other sins that are unforgivable as well. Such as continued disobedience in the case of King Saul (God answered him no more).

Esau selling his birthright (God saying Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated). In Malachi 1:2-3 that seems to mean Edom, but in Romans 9:13 it seems to refer to the persons themselves.

Also, Hebrews 6:4-6 and 10:26 seems to imply that any willful sin after conversion results in one crossing the deadline. How many unpardonable sins are there?
Greetings Gilligan.

Any unrepented sin is unforgivable. Repentance is not an option, but rather a divine directive.

TrustGzus
Feb 25th 2010, 03:04 AM
Hey Gilligan, if Jesus says there is only one unforgivable sin, then that must be the case. Perhaps all the other passages you are referring to aren't unforgivable, just unforgiven. Or perhaps the sins committed were actually blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. Perhaps Saul's continual disobedience, his continual rebellion against God's Spirit constitutes blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

David2
Feb 25th 2010, 03:22 PM
Instead of more than one unpardonable sin, I would say that there is now, today, less than one unpardonable sin. Christ died on the cross for all sins of all humanity. No sin is today unpardonable. He who come in faith and repentance will never be rejected. Matt. 12 refers to the position of the nation of Israel. They commited the sin against the Father in the Old Testament, the sin against the Son during Christ's earthly ministry and the sin against the Holy Spirit after the day of Pentecost. On the cross Jesus prayed to the Father to forgive them because they knew not what they were doing, but after Pentecost they were not forgiven again. Acts 13, 28 and Romans 11 announces the curtain that closes for the nation of Israel (not for individuals, but for the nation as such).

Naphal
Feb 25th 2010, 03:44 PM
Instead of more than one unpardonable sin, I would say that there is now, today, less than one unpardonable sin. Christ died on the cross for all sins of all humanity. No sin is today unpardonable. He who come in faith and repentance will never be rejected. Matt. 12 refers to the position of the nation of Israel. They commited the sin against the Father in the Old Testament, the sin against the Son during Christ's earthly ministry and the sin against the Holy Spirit after the day of Pentecost. On the cross Jesus prayed to the Father to forgive them because they knew not what they were doing, but after Pentecost they were not forgiven again. Acts 13, 28 and Romans 11 announces the curtain that closes for the nation of Israel (not for individuals, but for the nation as such).

There are some sins Christ's blood does not cover.

Matthew 12:32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

VerticalReality
Feb 25th 2010, 03:56 PM

Hebrews is addressing the issue of people denying the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation . . . not just committing some random single act of sin. The book of Hebrews was written in large reference to the issue of Jews during this time forsaking the Lord Jesus and His work on Calvary to revert back to keeping the law. In other words, they were being tempted by false teachers and such to forsake their faith in the Lord to try and be perfected by the flesh . . .

Galatians 3:3
Are you so foolish? Having begun in the Spirit, are you now being made perfect by the flesh?

Slug1
Feb 25th 2010, 04:11 PM
Again I do agree with the other things you said, but the Hebrews verses referenced I believe pertain to rejecting Christ (in a sense I think that's like Blaspheming the Holy Spirit).

A statement like this is always a toughie... we all rejected Christ until we accepted Him. Many are approached with the Gospel many times in their life until they finally accept... until that moment, they rejected God. Yet, the moment they chose to accept Christ, He forgave them and they are saved.

Some accept the first time, some don't... saying or thinking that rejecting Christ is unforgivable can cause some to think they can never put faith in Christ because they once, twice, three times (they're out) rejected Him.

I know you're not "saying" this... but some can read what people are saying (we have allot of guest readers) and the enemy can really take it and spin them into a loop of not being acceptable to Christ and then they step even farther away and harden their heart against Christ.

ClayInHisHands
Feb 25th 2010, 07:54 PM

[B]
the Hebrews verses referenced I believe pertain to rejecting Christ(in a sense I think that's like Blaspheming the Holy Spirit).

Yes indeed, if there are any guests visiting this thread who have not accepted Christ...I did not mean to confuse you in any way. In the above verses in Hebrews I believe amounts in sense to rejecting Christ once you have already accepted him and then willingly turn your back renouncing him as Savior.

Some accept the first time, some don't... saying or thinking that rejecting Christ is unforgivable can cause some to think they can never put faith in Christ because they once, twice, three times (they're out) rejected Him.

Thank you Slug1 for pointing this out. Yes, if you reject Christ 10 times or more before accepting Him you CAN and WILL still be forgiven. However, time is not on everyones side. Therefore the time is now that you pray earnestly for God to reveal the truth to you about the sacrifice His son made on our behalf. As a follower of Jesus Christ I can not beat around the bush and dance around the truth. If any man or woman dies without accepting Jesus Christ's payment for their sins they will suffer eternal damnation. This is not to scare you in anyway, but in all reality it should. We should not fear God because God is a mean wicked and harsh God but as Jesus himself said................

[U]Luke 12:4-5

4 "I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more. 5 But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after the killing of the body, has power to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him."

God is perfect, always has, always will be. If we reject Him and we die not having ever accepting Jesus...he has no choice but to reject us and separate us from Himself forever. Not because He doesn't love us, but because He wouldn't be Love and without sin(Pure Justice) if he gave us a free pass that says we were "kind of good, we treated people well and we had a good heart, etc." However though, God in all His mercy and grace has given us another kind of free pass though and His name is Jesus and when He looks at a child of His who is a sinner and the devil says...."look at so and so, they're awful and they said this, did that, thought this, etc." God looks at them and says...yes, they did all these things but all I see when I look uopn them is the blood of My son Jesus and they are covered completely.

In Christ's Love

Slug1
Feb 25th 2010, 08:29 PM
Thank you Slug1 for pointing this out. Yes, if you reject Christ 10 times or more before accepting Him you CAN and WILL still be forgiven. However, time is not on everyones side. Therefore the time is now that you pray earnestly for God to reveal the truth to you about the sacrifice His son made on our behalf. As a follower of Jesus Christ I can not beat around the bush and dance around the truth. If any man or woman dies without accepting Jesus Christ's payment for their sins they will suffer eternal damnation. This is not to scare you in anyway, but in all reality it should. We should not fear God because God is a mean wicked and harsh God but as Jesus himself said................

Luke 12:4-5

4 "I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more. 5 But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after the killing of the body, has power to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him."

God is perfect, always has, always will be. If we reject Him and we die not having ever accepting Jesus...he has no choice but to reject us and separate us from Himself forever. Not because He doesn't love us, but because He wouldn't be Love and without sin(Pure Justice) if he gave us a free pass that says we were "kind of good, we treated people well and we had a good heart, etc." However though, God in all His mercy and grace has given us another kind of free pass though and His name is Jesus and when He looks at a child of His who is a sinner and the devil says...."look at so and so, they're awful and they said this, did that, thought this, etc." God looks at them and says...yes, they did all these things but all I see when I look uopn them is the blood of My son Jesus and they are covered completely.

In Christ's LoveOh, I agree... we just can't give the enemy fuel to burn inside of people who hear mention that any rejection of Christ renders them unforgivable.

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77