PDA

View Full Version : How do you know where to serve at church?

JDS
Jul 22nd 2009, 12:05 AM
Let's say you really want to serve the Lord at your church.

How do you know which ministry the Lord wants you to serve in?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

blessedmommyuv3
Jul 22nd 2009, 12:25 AM
The most important thing to do is pray and seek God's will on where He would have you to serve.
I would also read about the areas of service and see where your spiritual gifts seem to lead you. Remember as the Body of Christ, all gifts are necessary and equal in importance, none should be elevated above another. And all are to be done to edify the Body of Christ, further the Kingdom, and glorify God.

Romans 12:
6We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. 7If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; 8if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully.

1 Peter 4:
10Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms. 11If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ.

In Christ,
Jen

Brother Mark
Jul 22nd 2009, 12:48 AM

Thanks!

Go with what burns in your Spirit. If you don't know, try them all till you find where you "fit". Hands do naturally what hands are supposed to do. Feet learn to walk and do what feet do. You'll know when you feel the fit. ;)

ConqueredbyLove
Jul 22nd 2009, 01:28 AM
I agree with both the above posters :) I got involved in many areas in the church but nothing seemed to "fit".

It was not until a number of years later that someone else saw a gift in me that I never thought of. But, at the same time, it was something I would have loved to do.

Often, others will notice our giftings before we are aware of them ourselves.

Don't be afraid of not getting it correct at first. God will reveal your giftings to you when you are ready :hug: And, most people do have more than one gift.

HisLeast
Jul 22nd 2009, 01:33 AM
Start with what you're good at too. For example, I'm a bit of a computer guy so the first thing I'd do is ask how I can help out with multi-media, computer support, or training church members for computer jobs. Not because God wrote the letters in the sky, but because I understand the skills he's given.

If all else fails, and you don't know what you can offer specifically, ask what needs doing.

*Living~By~Faith*
Jul 22nd 2009, 01:48 AM
I don't have any advice on this for you. But I just wanted to let you know that I'm exactly where you are in this. I don't know where I belong in my church and don't see any places where I'd fit. I'm helping in children's church ministry and am assisting in a SS class, but I really don't think I have the gift of teaching. Right now I'm just trying to take the advice of someone that I know... which is to stay where I am until the Lord reveals to me where He wants me in the church. I'm personally a behind the scenes type person and would be willing to help out with the day to day things at my church, but no one has asked for my help with anything yet. Even though the whole church staff knows I'd be willing to help with anything.

The Mighty Sword
Jul 22nd 2009, 02:48 AM
How do you know where to serve at church?

I didn't know where I was supposed to serve, I put in applications and let GOD do the rest, he wouldn't put me anywhere I didn't need to be.

Toymom
Jul 22nd 2009, 02:55 AM
How do you know where to serve at church?

I didn't know where I was supposed to serve, I put in applications and let GOD do the rest, he wouldn't put me anywhere I didn't need to be.
Yep, let the church know you are available and willing to serve and whatever they offer you, pray about and unless you feel a strong "no" from the Lord (not from your own self and preferences), then continue praying and serve the Lord as you are asked to.
Sometimes it is not easy.
In fact, often it is not easy.
It is the Lord's way of working in our lives so that we will grow more in Him and gain more of His life.
I can say that I have been blessed by serving in the church and the most blessing has been from the hardest times of serving.

The Mighty Sword
Jul 22nd 2009, 02:57 AM
Yep, let the church know you are available and willing to serve and whatever they offer you, pray about and unless you feel a strong "no" from the Lord (not from your own self and preferences), then continue praying and serve the Lord as you are asked to.
Sometimes it is not easy.
In fact, often it is not easy.
It is the Lord's way of working in our lives so that we will grow more in Him and gain more of His life.
I can say that I have been blessed by serving in the church and the most blessing has been from the hardest times of serving.

Took them a year and half to get back to me, preparation is everything.

ConqueredbyLove
Jul 22nd 2009, 11:59 PM
Took them a year and half to get back to me, preparation is everything.

That can happen. But I also have had the opposite happen where they practically snatch you as soon as you get through the door.

I have been looking for a new church. At one of these churches, I had only been there a few times and one of those times I found myself sitting next to someone who had been there a long time.

At one point in the service she started saying to me something like "God has been telling me something"... I said "Oh, and what is that". She said He told me that you are to teach the Sunday school children.

I found it quite strange but He has never told me that :hmm:.

I know my gifts and callings and it certainly is not to teach the Sunday School Children.

So one does have to be cautious...

The Mighty Sword
Jul 24th 2009, 04:27 AM
That can happen. But I also have had the opposite happen where they practically snatch you as soon as you get through the door.

I have been looking for a new church. At one of these churches, I had only been there a few times and one of those times I found myself sitting next to someone who had been there a long time.

At one point in the service she started saying to me something like "God has been telling me something"... I said "Oh, and what is that". She said He told me that you are to teach the Sunday school children.

I found it quite strange but He has never told me that :hmm:.

I know my gifts and callings and it certainly is not to teach the Sunday School Children.

So one does have to be cautious...

Take upon yourself Christ's yoke and he will guide you.

pmiles
Jul 25th 2009, 11:37 PM
Sometimes the test is if we are willing to do what He would have us do, and sometimes when we do all (you know what breaks out), but the test is ...will you really keep your eyes on Him, not looking left nor right. It's tough going through the fire but when you come out of it you feel like you are walking on water. I have been though soooo much, but He has been training me up and I am thankful that I learned to depend on His grace and His grace alone. Not taking things in my own hands as my flesh was so tempted to do. Passing the test of whether or not He can really trust us is hard and exhilarating at the same time. Wait on Him and persevere in Him, be faithful only to Him. Blessings 2 U !:kiss:

Desperaux
Jul 25th 2009, 11:40 PM

Thanks!

Ask God, and while waiting for His answer, you begin with the menial. Clean toilets, wash walls, shovel snow, mow the lawns, whatever you find to do around the church proper. Serving others--taking a new person you've just met for an hour of coffee and conversation at least once a week, being available to help others. See a need and fill it.

THEN, God who sees the servant heart will will promote you to where He has gifted you to serve, because He will have seen that you are trustworthy to Him.

Ecclesiastes 9:10a
Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might

Buzzword
Jul 30th 2009, 01:04 AM
Do what you love.

If there isn't a ministry involving what you love at your church, start one.

CoffeeCat
Jul 30th 2009, 03:18 AM
The advice and wisdom the other posts have offered here is great. One more thing I'd say.... prepare to be surprised. You sometimes find yourself doing something that, at first glance, you never thought you'd be 'a natural at', and what you do in your church might not always come easily at first.... but when a church needs help, if something does not jump out at you right away, a church tends to be happy to train you and show you how to do what needs to be done. I am finding that out, myself, and I am grateful to be out of my comfort zone because I am learning a lot. :)

eascusa
Jul 31st 2009, 05:39 PM
In the first post I read it said to read what type of services there are and perhaps pick one. Where would I read this at?

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77