PDA

View Full Version : Why does some praise music make me cry?

Gregg
Jul 15th 2009, 02:07 PM
I am sitting here and want to start the day with a Praise song. I start to play it and while I do not feel sad I start to weep. It is almost like my eyes and throat are sad, but not the other parts. I cannot sing along as my throat is slammed shut. This does not happen with all songs and not all of the time, but How Great is Our God seems to get me all of the time. As a 6'0 248 lb man, it makes me feel a little weird.

Mods if this is not in the right place, please move it.

Slug1
Jul 15th 2009, 02:19 PM
I'll let the Mods move it as needed but to answer your post...

I openly cry in church or at home when listening to praise/worship music. I look at it this way, I raise my hands now in surrender to God as I praise Him, why not cry as well. Just last night I was talking to a friend and they said they held their tears back and I asked them why? No real answer except to say it's not their nature to cry... I told them to stop listening to the lie from the enemy cause those tears are surrender to God and the enemy doesn't want any Christian to surrender in anyway to God for any reason.

IMINXTC
Jul 15th 2009, 02:29 PM
“But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel.” (Psalm 22:3):)

Vhayes
Jul 15th 2009, 02:29 PM
I would say it's praising God with your heart - the hidden places that are usually left untouched by life. It's the "fear" we hear about - the awe and wonder that is inexpressable.

Tonton
Jul 15th 2009, 02:46 PM
Gregg

Do not think it weird - The glorious presence of the Holy Spirit makes many grown men weep - and I certainly am one of them.

Weeping in joy is a form of praising. And just to remind you, Jesus also wept!

Anton

tt1106
Jul 15th 2009, 03:24 PM
I certianly know what you mean. Sometimes I cry listening to praise music on the way to work. The Lord moves as he will. When an artist captures a specific sentiment about God and it strikes a chord with you, the Holy Spirit affirms it. How can you not be moved to tears when that kind of presence is felt.

threebigrocks
Jul 15th 2009, 03:26 PM
John 4
23"But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers.
24"God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth."

It's the Spirit working through your personal worship. It's an intimate moment, and when our spirit in communion with the Holy Spirit comes together our flesh cannot contain it.

Consider it a blessing my friend! It is something we are all called to and grow into - a deep communion with our Lord. :)

The Mighty Sword
Jul 15th 2009, 05:14 PM
The Mighty Sword is a man's man, But when I hear Revelation song, It will bring me to my knees, Something about praising The Father with those words, it's an honor and it is an emotion the soul cannot contain and we are force to surrender to The Holy Spirit, for praise and worship ushers in His presence, Hallelujah. :pp

ConqueredbyLove
Jul 15th 2009, 05:38 PM
It is the sign of a tender heart (yours) that is in tune with his Creator and beloved Saviour.

It is a wonderful gift of the Holy Spirit :hug: :kiss: :hug:

The Mighty Sword
Jul 15th 2009, 05:43 PM
It is the sign of a tender heart (yours) that is in tune with his Creator and beloved Saviour.

It is a wonderful gift of the Holy Spirit :hug: :kiss: :hug:

Awesomeness..............

klopi
Jul 15th 2009, 09:37 PM
I sometimes cry at church :cry: and then get embarrassed and start looking around hoping no one else has seen me. I don't know why it happens but its never a bad thing, besides most girls think its cool to see a guy in touch with his emotions. :kiss:

jayne
Jul 15th 2009, 09:50 PM
Don't worry - it's normal.

After my Bible reading this morning, I turned on the radio to listen to some contemporary music. I was listening to a pretty jazzy version of "My Redeemer Lives". I starting singing the chorus out loud and my throat closed and could only cry instead.

I wasn't sad.

I was in awe that my Redeemer actually lives and loves me and has a plan for my life.

I can't explain it ....... but I just go with the flow. :cry:

mongoose303
Jul 15th 2009, 11:40 PM
Whew! im glad im not the only one that crys in Church. I also cry when I pray either at home or in Church, im not sure whats wrong with me, Im such a cry baby :cry::lol:, but these are tears of great joy and love for Jesus my Saviour. I dont know for certain whats happening with me but its like im joyful inside 24/7, like im bubbling over inside most of the day and especially when i neal down to pray. Even while im typing this, inside im doing cartwheels LOL! im overly joyful and I cant help it. Im so desparate to see Jesus, Im about to explode!:pp:bounce:

How long oh Lord, I need you so very very much, I long for your embrace every day and night, I make my pillow to swim with my tears every night........hold me close to you please Jesus .... :cry::cry:

ConqueredbyLove
Jul 15th 2009, 11:47 PM
Wow...

You all are blessing me so much!!! :hug: :kiss: :hug:

And, if you are blessing me...How much more you must be blessing God :pp :pp :pp

Ayala
Jul 16th 2009, 12:50 AM
Tears and overwhelming emotion while communing with God in worship is a trademark of the Holy Spirit, rising up from within. Such power manifesting itself inside you is an incredible feeling. I'm not a "crier"...but I remember when the Lord truly opened my eyes and broke me...I went into heavy prayer...and I started to cry heavily. I mean real heavy...I went on and on...unable to even form coherent words. He's the only one who could have possibly understood what I was even trying to convey...and I know He heard me loud and clear.

A man should not fear to kneel or weep in the presence of the Lord, in whom he puts his love and trust.

matthew7and1
Jul 16th 2009, 02:30 AM
I certianly know what you mean. Sometimes I cry listening to praise music on the way to work. The Lord moves as he will. When an artist captures a specific sentiment about God and it strikes a chord with you, the Holy Spirit affirms it. How can you not be moved to tears when that kind of presence is felt.
This is an excellent answer. I am a woman however when I am touched I cry. I think that it's a result of the song or sermon hitting a specific empotional chord that you could never express yourself. It's intimate when you are touched that way and I think it's only natural to cry.

Twin2
Jul 16th 2009, 03:19 AM
I believe we cry when we are broken. When we finally get it, when we finally understand what the Lord is doing in our lives, we are broken. We are broken in worship. Then we can praise. Personally, I have had some of the best worship times, at my kitchen sink, listening to my Christian music while I'm doing my dishes. It is then that I can focus on the Lord and just open up my heart. It is then that I feel the Holy Ghost nudging me, drawing me closer. It is then, that I am truly in the presence of the Lord.

"Because thine heart was tender, and thou didst humble thyself before God, when thou heardest his words against this place, and against the inhabitants thereof, and humbledst thyself before me, and didst rend thy clothes, and weep before me; I have even heard thee also, saith the LORD." 2 Chronicles 34:27 KJV

firstpeterone
Jul 16th 2009, 03:57 AM
our tears....
sometimes
the first sign
of our praise, or
the start of
our silent prayer,
or our confirmation
to ourselves
that we are
tuning back into God

RollTide21
Jul 16th 2009, 03:27 PM
Tears and overwhelming emotion while communing with God in worship is a trademark of the Holy Spirit, rising up from within. Such power manifesting itself inside you is an incredible feeling. I'm not a "crier"...but I remember when the Lord truly opened my eyes and broke me...I went into heavy prayer...and I started to cry heavily. I mean real heavy...I went on and on...unable to even form coherent words. He's the only one who could have possibly understood what I was even trying to convey...and I know He heard me loud and clear.

A man should not fear to kneel or weep in the presence of the Lord, in whom he puts his love and trust.

If you're not a "crier" and don't get overly emotional about things, I can imagine that it was strange to feel yourself breaking down. Don't fret over it, though. The Holy Spirit is very powerful. I would think it would be quite UNcommon to not become a little emotional when the Spirit pays a visit during worship. The feelings of love and peace can be quite overwhelming.

Gregg
Jul 16th 2009, 04:48 PM
Thank you all for your answers and replies...of course now I have apparently taken up crying while reading them. I read and feel truth in them. Thank you all for taking the time.

God Bless you and yours.

Gregg

notuptome
Jul 16th 2009, 05:23 PM
Thank you all for your answers and replies...of course now I have apparently taken up crying while reading them. I read and feel truth in them. Thank you all for taking the time.

God Bless you and yours.

Gregg
John 11:35 Jesus wept.

To say any more would exceed my liberty in Christ.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

turtledove
Jul 21st 2009, 12:58 PM
“But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel.” (Psalm 22:3):)

:yes::agree:and adding this: Psalm 100:4
Enter his gates with thanksgiving
and his courts with praise;
give thanks to him and praise his name.

Certain songs of praise and worship really touch my heart..I was really moved to tears (actually released and healed) a few months ago when hearing "Beyond Our Faults" which is much like Amazing Grace and I also get very teared up whenever we sing "How Great Thou Art." God is, indeed, present as we enter into praising Him..

Equipped_4_Love
Jul 27th 2009, 03:46 AM
This is going to sound really dorky, you guys, but today I was reading Ezekiel. I had never read it before, and when it came to the part in chapter 1 where it described the appearance of Jesus Christ, I started weeping.....especially at the last verse "This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the Lord."

It was as though I was overwhelmed by the description of the glory and majesty of my beautiful God, and the fact that a God of such glory and meajesty would also be so full of tenderness and compassion.....for me. I kept thinking "That's my beautiful Lord and Saviour. He is so glorious."

Anyhow, yes, I agree that some praise music can really get to you. There is something so beautiful that happens when God touches you in that way. It's best not to fight it, but just to give into it, because God is communicating with you, and through those tears you are experiencing Him in a wonderful, intimate way.

I honestly don't understand why I cry so much, but I know that the Lord does.

Equipped_4_Love
Jul 27th 2009, 04:31 AM
Wow...

You all are blessing me so much!!! :hug: :kiss: :hug:

And, if you are blessing me...How much more you must be blessing God :pp :pp :pp

.....and this, my friend, was a blessing to hear you say. That we are blessing God.

What a glorious priviledge, the most glorious priviledge in life....to bless the beautiful heart of our Creator and Lord.

Vhayes
Jul 27th 2009, 04:43 AM
our tears....
sometimes
the first sign
of our praise, or
the start of
our silent prayer,
or our confirmation
to ourselves
that we are
tuning back into God
This is simply lovely!! thank you. And yes. I cried.
V

pmiles
Jul 29th 2009, 06:24 AM
I am sitting here and want to start the day with a Praise song. I start to play it and while I do not feel sad I start to weep. It is almost like my eyes and throat are sad, but not the other parts. I cannot sing along as my throat is slammed shut. This does not happen with all songs and not all of the time, but How Great is Our God seems to get me all of the time. As a 6'0 248 lb man, it makes me feel a little weird.

Mods if this is not in the right place, please move it.

WOW!!! So I am not alone. Hallelujah! I often do this crying too. More like weeping i guess. I do think it's the awe in our hearts of the One we are praising. Inexpressible love that over flows and flows out of our eyes. Knowing He loved us so much to pay such a price for us is overwhelming. Maybe it is because we have entered His gates / thanksgiving. But it is for sure a WOW, and in church when I do this weeping I have tried hard to keep it under control, because sometimes I feel like it could turn into bawling out loud. Dont know, maybe I should not stop even that. Must pray on that one. No doubt we are in His presence and it is a Spirit reaction. Enjoy it and keep on enjoying the love of Jesus. Tears across America. AMEN?????

lolaboo
Aug 4th 2009, 05:49 AM
Me too! I cry with the music...my pastor said "Don't worry about it, you would be surprised if you saw what I saw standing up here"!!!

I was also welling up just reading these posts!:cry:

Desperaux
Aug 4th 2009, 05:57 AM
When I worship I often weep. It is the presence of God who comes when we worship that brings on the emotion. He inhabits the praises of His people. Worship brings God near.

I bawled like a baby in church Sunday! What a joy!

1Thessalonians5:21
Aug 26th 2009, 01:34 AM
A piece of music that makes me cry is by the National Christian Choir "Abba Father", and recently "The Majesty and Glory of Your Name". This was when I was driving to church. Another time I was eating breakfast, and I was listening to a song by Steve Camp. I don't remember the song. It seems when I am more spiritually "in tune" that I am affected by what I hear. I feel the Holy Spirit's presence, it builds up, and builds up, and then I break down. God has created us feeling creatures. In the book of Hebrews, we are told that He can be touched by the feeling of our infirmities. Maybe to confirm to us that the joys that touch Him, touch us. . .

webhead
Aug 26th 2009, 01:45 AM
John 11:35 Jesus wept.

To say any more would exceed my liberty in Christ.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

And remember, in this verse(John 11:35) the word used for wept is dakryō, to shed tears. Another Greek word for wept is klaiō, mourn or lament(Matt 26:75).

kay-gee
Aug 26th 2009, 12:39 PM
So if I don't get all sentimental and teary eyed in church, I am less spiritual than thou?

Is emotional display a pre-requisite to true worship?

Wondering!

all the best...

notuptome
Aug 26th 2009, 01:07 PM
So if I don't get all sentimental and teary eyed in church, I am less spiritual than thou?

Wondering!

all the best...
I do not think that one must lose their composure to be spiritual. But I do not deny others their liberty in Christ to do so.

I admit it is difficult not to be moved by the account of the events leading up to my Christ going to the cross. When I consider His beating with the rods, His scourging, the platting of the crown of thorns, His suffering in my stead I find it hard not to be moved. The account of His suffering on the cross for my sins and the glorious account of His resurrection from the tomb. I do have a fondness of Lukes account of that morning Luke 24:5-6 ... why seek ye the living among the dead? He is not here He is risen... that is really exciting. Sing it, pray it, say it, or read it I care not I simply love it.

Rejoice in the Lord always and again I say rejoice.

Being a Christian is all about worshiping according to the dictates of your own heart.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

JesusMySavior
Aug 26th 2009, 02:48 PM
Depending on how much the Spirit is moving in me (or how deep I let Him get), I sometimes cry a little bit, or I completely lose it and every fiber of my being pours out into my tears and weeping. He speaks to me, reveals the things in my life, surfaces the buried problems, and fills me with His love. It hits me hard and I fall to my knees and praise Him and weep loud and long, it is truly sweet and beautiful communion with Jesus.

There is NOTHING shameful about it. That is the one thing that keeps you in tune with God. Read "Pursuit of the Holy" by Corey Russell. God is SEEKING people who will worship Him like this and allow Him to look hard and long into your soul.

I would go as far as to say you are not a REAL MAN unless you can WEEP in the presence of Jesus. (not to say if this doesn't happen you are not a real Christian, but if you deny and hold it back, you are stubborn.) Real men aren't too stubborn to cry at the presence of a Holy God.

Slug1
Aug 26th 2009, 03:07 PM
There is NOTHING shameful about it. That is the one thing that keeps you in tune with God. Read "Pursuit of the Holy" by Corey Russell. God is SEEKING people who will worship Him like this and allow Him to look hard and long into your soul.

I would go as far as to say you are not a REAL MAN unless you can WEEP in the presence of Jesus. (not to say if this doesn't happen you are not a real Christian, but if you deny and hold it back, you are stubborn.) Real men aren't too stubborn to cry at the presence of a Holy God.
Amen, great post!

Stubborness is one of those layers deep in my heart that I surrendered... The Lord told me He had removed the surface stuff and was gonna go deep and it will be painful. During praise and worship is when my heart is open. Not only at church, when I'm at home and I'm placing myself into the presence of God, I listen to music and just praise the Lord and welcome Him into my home and to be with me... I can't stop crying when He goes to work inside of me.

JesusMySavior
Aug 26th 2009, 03:26 PM
Amen, great post!

Stubborness is one of those layers deep in my heart that I surrendered... The Lord told me He had removed the surface stuff and was gonna go deep and it will be painful. During praise and worship is when my heart is open. Not only at church, when I'm at home and I'm placing myself into the presence of God, I listen to music and just praise the Lord and welcome Him into my home and to be with me... I can't stop crying when He goes to work inside of me.

Praise Jesus! That's great! :)

kay-gee
Aug 27th 2009, 11:41 AM
So how did people come into Gods presence before when there were no stereos to switch on?

all the best...

Slug1
Aug 27th 2009, 11:48 AM
So how did people come into Gods presence before when there were no stereos to switch on?

all the best...Well, when I don't listen to music (through electronics) to worship, I play my guitar and sing. More playing then singing out loud.

Guess that's how they did it also... whatever instrument and whatever song they sang. Some dance also... I really can't dance :lol:

Sometimes I just pray as well and don't need worship music but this thread is all about the worship brought forth from the heart through praise and worship music.

notuptome
Aug 27th 2009, 05:01 PM
Music with a syncopated beat has long been used to induce a semicatatonic state in voodoo and other forms of satanic worship.

Perhaps an open heart should be viewed like an open window. Best served with a screen on it. The word of God would be the ideal screen of the heart that seeks to glorify Christ.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Slug1
Aug 27th 2009, 05:45 PM
Music with a syncopated beat has long been used to induce a semicatatonic state in voodoo and other forms of satanic worship.

Yep, and the internet is clearly used for worse stuff (evil) then your example of using music for voodoo/ satanic worship... yet you, me and many other Christians still use the internet ;)

Let's be a little grounded here :idea:

The internet can be of God just as music can be... So let's keep this thread about worship of God through music intended for worship to God. Not type or style of music, just that the music takes us into the presence of God and opens our hearts to Him and we experience physical, emotional and spiritual edification as the Holy Spirit moves us as we pour out and lift up honor, praise, and glory to God through worship.

kay-gee
Aug 28th 2009, 01:46 AM
So let me see if I understand this.

Without an iPod or a guitar or a live band, I would not be able to have a heart to heart with God?

Hmmmm......interesting

all the best...

Ayala
Aug 28th 2009, 01:54 AM
I'm pretty sure no one said anything like that.

Prayer, meditating in the Word, musical worship, etc are all ways by which we can enter into the Lord's presence.

kay-gee
Aug 28th 2009, 05:23 AM
Funny. In the list of the things the first church did Acts 2:42-46, no mention of music at all.

I have a hunch that music being a prelude to worship is a modern concept.

all the best...

Ayala
Aug 28th 2009, 05:53 AM
"Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous: for praise is comely for the upright.
Praise the Lord with harp: sing unto him with the psaltery and an instrument of ten strings.
Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise."
Psalm 33

"Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands.
Serve the Lord with gladness;
come before his presence with singing.
Know ye that the Lord he is God;
it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves;
we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.
Enter into his gates with thanksgiving,
and into his courts with praise;
be thankful unto him, and bless his name.
For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting;
and his truth endureth to all generations."
Psalm 100

Slug1
Aug 28th 2009, 11:27 AM
So let me see if I understand this.

Without an iPod or a guitar or a live band, I would not be able to have a heart to heart with God?

Hmmmm......interesting

all the best...Huh... the thread is about worship through song. Whatever way....

Prayer is worship as well, opens our heart to God.

Dancing is worship as well, opens our heart to God.

This specific topic is "through" music.

Other methods... start a new thread.

Gregg
Aug 28th 2009, 02:43 PM

Wondering!

all the best...

Ummm...I was asking others why I choke up and cry when I am not feeling sad. I was not comparing anyone's spirituality.

Please take this in the kind and respectful way I am typing this:

I do not understand why you have written the above? It seems that you are a bit defensive at some of the brother's and sister's answers. I do not think anyone said song was a pre-requisite to true worship. In fact, it wasn't that long ago I changed churches because they had too much singing and not enough teaching. I later learned that because I am self conscious of my voice and don't like to sing that I felt guilty for not singing. It was only in the last couple of years that I realized that I could enjoy others gifts and use it as prayer and worship time that I began to enjoy others gifts. Today I love the worship part, sometimes I sing, sometimes I don't, sometimes I cry.

We are to include God in all that we do. That means at work, play, and worship. If my walk with God can help yours, praise Jesus. If your walk with God can help me, praise Jesus. If we walk seperately but meet in Heaven, praise Jesus.

God bless you and yours.

Gregg
Aug 28th 2009, 02:53 PM

all the best...

Well in the begining they just walked with Him in the garden in the cool of the day. Later on they rules and curtains. Then a Savior came and changed the rules of worship and living. God knows the begining and end. Each of us is placed in the exact right time in place and history. It is not by accident that we are placed at a time with stereos, ipods, computers, radio, and television. satan has used all that is good to turn it to lies and sin. It is only by our mighty Savior that any good remains. God is a God of outcomes. He knows our hearts. Praise Jesus! God bless us all!!

I believe we are in God's presence and being blessed right this very moment. I get to know you by the gift of this computer!

God bless you and yours,

Gregg

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77