PDA

View Full Version : "Selling your soul" to the devil

MidnightsPaleGlow
May 29th 2008, 11:28 AM
There seems to be much debate over whether one can actually do this or not. From what it seems and what I've read in the bible, nobody ever actually "sold" their soul to the devil, but they came close by practicing sorcery (such as Simon the Sorcerer, who used occultic power to work miraculous signs), also, the bible tells us over and over that somebody who lives their life in habitual sin and ignores God is of the devil, and obviously, those who practice sorcery, using occultic powers, are pretty much doing the same thing, but getting back on track, do you, personally, believe that it is actually possible to "sell your soul" to the devil? I ask this because as somebody who suffers from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, I had this irrational fear of selling my soul to the devil accidentally, but somebody I know on this forum said that this is a man-made reality. Do you, or do you not, think that somebody can actually "sell" their soul?

Still in One Peace
May 29th 2008, 12:25 PM
Well i have to tentitivly say yes. I know that thoes who practice the worship of satan or thoes to commune with demonic forces usually have some sort of "deal" (this if for the people who are really serious not he people who dabbble) Usually it works that if they do something for saran he'll give them power or what ever it is that they want. (supposedly)
Also perhapes the reason the phrase (sold your soul to the devil) was created was maybe in refereance to Judas betaying Jesus for money? Or perhapes its a way of describing the unpardonable sin?
All of this is just theory so i guess i don't really know...

WtheWildthingsR
May 29th 2008, 12:56 PM
My thinking is this, many people have sold out/sold their souls, so to speak, to the devil. But the Blood of Jesus covers that sin, just like every other sin.

There is a verse in the Bible about when our sins are forgiven that they are as far away from us as the east is to the west. This means they are gone.

Psalms 103:12 As far as the east is from the west, [so] far hath he removed our transgressions from us.

There are times I have been so bound up in fear and anxiety that I had to go to the hospital with my blood presure. I need to remember that Simon Peter stuggled with human weakness and was still loved by Jesus, we are ALL loved by Him reguardless of our human weakness to worry etc.

Luke 22:31 And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired [to have] you, that he may sift [you] as wheat:
Luke 22:32 But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.

God knows and warns us that Satan is constantly accusing us to him.

Rev 12:10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.

Athanasius
May 29th 2008, 01:18 PM
You can pledge your alliegence to Satan, so yes, you can in a way 'sell your soul' to him... Ignoring the misnomer the cliche has attached to it. You can't actually 'sell' it and it's gone; you don't own it in the first place, Christ does.

daughter
May 29th 2008, 03:12 PM
As Xel says... you can't sell what isn't yours to sell.

Nobody's "neutral" in life. Before you are saved, the devil owns your soul anyway. Once Christ has bought you, you can't sell His goods to the devil. The whole concept is a demonic lie to keep people scared and in chains.

Ayala
Aug 29th 2008, 06:29 PM
Figuratively, yes. In the way your question insinuates, no. You can't "make a deal" with Satan in exchange for your soul, unable to ever retrieve it again.

Elouise
Aug 29th 2008, 08:02 PM
Satanists with few exceptions do not 'sell' their souls because they think they own them outright.
The same type of mentality can be found in other darker spiritualities that consider there may be a soul.
What almost all lack is a concept of sin.

Christ redeems us from the spiritual consequences of sin if we come to His cross and repent regardless of what that sin may be in human terms.

D in Georgia
Aug 29th 2008, 08:14 PM
There are no good deals with satan. D

John 8:44

44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father it is your will to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and standeth not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father thereof.

MidnightsPaleGlow
Sep 1st 2008, 11:25 PM
There are no good deals with satan. D

John 8:44

44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father it is your will to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and standeth not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father thereof.

That is very true indeed.

dispen4ever
Sep 3rd 2008, 04:14 PM
Soul = mental, mind, will, emotions = the flesh = the sinful nature, as opposed to the Spiritual nature that is yours since receiving Jesus as Savior and following Him as Lord. Soul in context is NOT spirit, the spirit imparted to you at the moment you trusted Him for your eternal security. You can, of course, be saved without subsequently walking in His Footprints. Those are the times when you fall back into the sinful nature. During those times your sinful nature is dancing with the devil. Go to 1 John 1:9. Enjoy your fellowship with Him. You can spend your whole life juggling soulish stuff or you can find His Footprints in your Bible, then walk in them. I'm in no wise opposed to prescription medication monitored by a qualified physician for any type of mental disorder (that's mental disorder, NOT spiritual disorder! The Spirit imparted to you cannot possibly be "disordered!). Hallelujah!!

cowboy_tech
Sep 6th 2008, 10:05 PM
I say no. Christ purchased all of us on the cross. What he does with us is our choice. We can give ourselves to him in faith. Or we can be burned with the chaff. Like others have said, we can't sell what we don't own.

livingwaters
Sep 6th 2008, 11:01 PM
Can you lose your soul?

24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross, and follow me. 25 If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it. 26 And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul?[l (http://bibleresources.bible.com/passagesearchresults.php?passage1=Matthew+16&version=51#fen-NLT-23674l)] Is anything worth more than your soul? 27 For the Son of Man will come with his angels in the glory of his Father and will judge all people according to their deeds. 28 And I tell you the truth, some standing here right now will not die before they see the Son of Man coming in his Kingdom.”

:hmm:

BadDog
Sep 14th 2008, 08:21 PM
I admit, makes for a nice movie or book... but do any scriptures even hint at such a thing? This is not a matter of whether or not you can "lose" your soul, but sell it! :P C'mon.

BD

Mograce2U
Sep 15th 2008, 12:36 AM
(1 Ki 21:20 KJV) And Ahab said to Elijah, hast thou found me, O mine enemy? And he answered, I have found thee; because thou hast sold thyself to work evil in the sight of the LORD.

(2 Ki 17:17 KJV) And they caused their sons and their daughters to pass through the fire, and used divination and enchantments, and sold themselves to do evil in the sight of the LORD, to provoke him to anger.

(Isa 50:1 KJV) Thus saith the LORD, Where is the bill of your mother's divorcement, whom I have put away? or which of my creditors is it to whom I have sold you? Behold, for your iniquities have ye sold yourselves, and for your transgressions is your mother put away.

(Isa 52:3 KJV) For thus saith the LORD, Ye have sold yourselves for nought; and ye shall be redeemed without money.

(Amos 2:6-8 KJV) Thus saith the LORD; For three transgressions of Israel, and for four, I will not turn away the punishment thereof; because they sold the righteous for silver, and the poor for a pair of shoes; {7} That pant after the dust of the earth on the head of the poor, and turn aside the way of the meek: and a man and his father will go in unto the same maid, to profane my holy name: {8} And they lay themselves down upon clothes laid to pledge by every altar, and they drink the wine of the condemned in the house of their god.

(Heb 12:16-17 KJV) Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright. {17} For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.

(Deu 32:29-30 KJV) O that they were wise, that they understood this, that they would consider their latter end! {30} How should one chase a thousand, and two put ten thousand to flight, except their Rock had sold them, and the LORD had shut them up?

It seems to me that if one turns to wickedness to serve other gods then he has sold his soul to the devil and fill face condemnation and therefore needs to be redeemed.

Tanya~
Sep 15th 2008, 12:53 AM
You can rest assured that you have not sold your soul to the devil, because Christ has purchased you with His own blood.

1 Cor 6:20
For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's.
NKJV

You belong to God. When you have those thoughts, use this verse to combat them. Say, out loud, "I was bought at a price, I choose to glorify God in my body and in my spirit, which are God's."

The idea of selling one's soul to the devil does have some merit in a sense, but it doesn't apply to you. Those who "sell themselves to do evil" as the Scripture puts it are in a sense selling themselves to the devil, but you have been born again and are not for sale. God owns you.

1of7000
Sep 15th 2008, 01:48 AM
it is not near a dramatic as the movies but much more subtle. the sell out is to a thing that is not God. those that are at the top of their field have sold out to the industry or vocation for success. for all success is spiritually driven.

When one has sold out to the point of not being able to take Christ as their savior one has committed the unforgivable sin,blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

BadDog
Sep 20th 2008, 01:11 AM
Amen Tanya.

MoGrace2U,

Those expressions "sold themselves" does not even come close to implying to sell themselves to Satan. Look at other translations other than the KJV. The NET translates it as "They committed themselves to doing evil in the sight of the Lord and made him angry."

It is simply an idiomatic expression. It was used in English not too long ago - probably from the KJV. But it simply means that a person has finally gone whole-hog in a certain direction. Now in Deuteronomy, you would have God selling people to Satan!

Well, have fun with this discussion, but personally I'm not going to spend any more time on this... I know of no biblical basis for such an idea - none.

Take care,

BD

Your Advert here

Hosted by Webnet77